Learn How to Row a Rare Boat in Venice’s Canals Next Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to row one of only seven remaining batela boats in the world?
The next time you’re in Venice, set aside time to learn how to row a boat from serious professionals. Row Venice is a nonprofit organization created by a group of Venetian women focused on preserving the traditional art of rowing.
They offer three different lessons: A classic Venetian Rowing Lesson, the Cichetto Row and an Evening Row in the Grand Canal. The most basic lesson will teach you how to navigate a wooden batela boat (also known as a shrimp-tailed batela) with 90 minutes of guidance for up to four people.
The Cichetto Row is great for foodies, because each ride ends at a local wine bar after a round of snacks onboard the boat. (You’ll also be joined on your tour by a bàcaro who will make sure you’re noshing on the best crostini Venice has to offer.) The last of the tour options will bring you along the Grand Canal — Venice’s largest canal — at sunset, after the traffic has thinned for the day. Aside from learning how to row the boat, you’ll also get to explore the smaller side canals of Venice.
View this post on Instagram
A quick note about the boat you’ll be rowing: these are not the gondolas you see on Instagram. Instead, Row Venice will teach you how to control a batela coda di gambero: a handmade vessel pictured in many classic Italian paintings. These boats began to disappear after WWII when smaller motors were introduced to tinier boats. It’s said that Row Venice owns four of the seven batela boats left in the world today.
The 17-member team offers tours between April and October (so start planning your 2019 trip to Italy now), and can even arrange to drop you off at a restaurant for dinner, if it’s along the canals. Lesson prices range from $45 to $316, depending on your tour choice and the number of people joining you. According to Row Venice, a portion of every lesson fee goes to supporting local women and young athletes, as well as a number of organizations that host workshops and activities to support Venetian rowing.
For more information on how to book your own lesson, head to the Row Venice website.
Feature image courtesy of Row Venice via Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees