LAX Begins Building Its $4 Billion Airport Train
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti broke ground Thursday on a $4 billion, years-in-the-making a project to install a train system at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). The train system, named the Automated People Mover (APM), will function similarly to New York’s JFK and Newark International (EWR) airports air-trains. It will connect travelers directly from the LA Metro rail system to airport terminals and offer new, convenient pickup and drop off locations. However, unlike JFK and EWR, it’ll be completely free for anyone to use.
The mayor shared a rendering on Twitter:
The APM is projected to relieve the severe congestion at an airport with more than 75 million travelers per year. Trains will arrive every two minutes, have wide doors for easy accessibility and ample handrails and seats.
It will also be painted in a special-themed livery to celebrate the 2028 Olympics in LA.
As a part of the $14 billion transformation of LAX that has been underway since 2009, most aspects of the new APM system were designed to provide travelers with fast and easy access to the terminals. Each train will be able to transport up to 200 people and their luggage, or 50 people a car. Electrically powered, the APM will be able to reach speeds up to 47mph, taking 10 minutes end to end.
Currently, completion of the APM is expected for 2023.
All images courtesy of Los Angeles World Airports.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.