Booked on LATAM? Here’s what AA passengers need to know
When Delta announced this week that it would be buying a 20% stake in LATAM, it sent shockwaves through the aviation world, and rattled frequent flyers. Almost immediately, American Airlines suspended the ability for customers to book codeshare flights.
Although a spokesperson for American says the airline has not “heard of any customers being denied travel,” American is providing some additional information on its website to help its customers understand what to expect over the next few months since “a lot of inaccurate information is circulating.”
AA says that passengers holding tickets will still be able to travel as planned; there have been no changes to the current interline agreements between the airlines. Passengers can still expect to be able to check baggage, earn AAdvantage frequent flyer miles, and even have reciprocal access to clubs based on Oneworld agreements. The full statement reads:
American Airlines continues to accept customers and baggage of ticketed LATAM customers who are scheduled to fly on American in accordance with our current interline and oneworld agreements. Additionally, LATAM continues to accept American Airlines customers as well. There is no change for American or LATAM customers, and American is not aware of any customers who are being denied travel.
There is currently no change to our frequent flyer agreement or reciprocal club access for eligible customers of American or LATAM. AAdvantage® members will continue to earn miles on flights marketed by LATAM.
Over the next few months, as we wind down our agreements with LATAM that are still intact today, American will work with LATAM to ensure all of our customers are taken care of. American has suspended new codeshare bookings only. American remains the largest U.S. carrier to both Latin and South America and we look forward to competing and growing in this region of the world.
AA also says that its “top priority is taking care of our customers to ensure their travel experience remains seamless.” If a customer needs to make changes to an existing itinerary involving an American codeshare flight operated by LATAM to a market that American serves, American will rebook the customer on an American flight.
LATAM had been a partner with American Airlines and its Oneworld alliance and had been seeking deeper ties. Delta, part of the SkyTeam alliance, currently has a equity stake in Brazilian carrier GOL, a tie-up that now is expected to end. Oneworld has already announced that LATAM will leave the group.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.