Las Vegas sets flat rate taxi fares between the airport and the Strip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Save the gambling for the casinos: By the beginning of next year, you’ll no longer have to wonder how much your taxi fare will cost or if you should request the “no tunnel” route between the Las Vegas airport and the Strip.
The five-member Nevada Taxicab Authority board unanimously voted Thursday to implement flat rate fees between McCarran International Airport (LAS) and most destinations on the popular Vegas Strip. The new fare structure will be implemented on a rolling basis, officially going into effect on Jan. 1, 2020.
The proposed one way rates are as follows:
• Zone 1 — $19 from Sunset Road north to Tropicana Avenue (think Luxor and Mandalay Bay)
• Zone 2 — $23 from Tropicana Avenue north to Flamingo Road (think Bellagio and Aria)
• Zone 3 — $27 from Flamingo Road north to the Stratosphere Hotel (think Stratosphere and Sahara)
Standard pricing will remain in effect for destinations outside of the specified zones. These prices shouldn’t be too far off from a normal route now, though may be slightly more budget-friendly in some cases. On a recent trip to Las Vegas, TPG’s Summer Hull was charged a $24.42 base fare in a cab from McCarran Airport to the Bellagio, but that amount jumped to around $30 (pre-tip) once all the additional fees were added. A flat $23 fee to that zone would have been an improvement.
Flat-rate airport fares should officially bring an end to the pricing scourge that once plagued Vegas visitors, who often were at the mercy of local cab drivers with a city-wide reputation for padding taxi fares by taking the “scenic” route from the airport to hotels on the Strip.
While the advent of Uber really helped curtail some of the Vegas taxicab shenanigans, the new flat rate pricing should go a long way toward leveling the playing field between traditional cab companies and rideshare drivers, while providing greater pricing transparency for customers across the board.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees