Las Vegas airport just had its busiest month ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you traveled through Las Vegas last month, it may have been a little more difficult than usual to find a seat or get your turn on the airside slot machines.
That’s because in October more passengers traveled through the city’s McCarran International Airport (LAS) than ever before: more than 4.6 million people, up from about 4.4 million in October 2018 according to the airport.
“This is an ongoing trend over the last three years of setting new records,” Joe Rajchel, spokesman for the Clark County Department of Aviation that runs the airport, said in an email statement. “Las Vegas continues to grow and add unique attractions and experiences that draw visitors here. As part of this, airlines are bringing more seats into the market and making it even easier for people to fly to Las Vegas.”
Southwest Airlines has been the top carrier at Las Vegas for more than a decade, and that remained true during the airport’s record-setting October. The carrier accounted for a combined 1.5 million arrivals and departures, or about 36% of all passenger traffic in Las Vegas for the month. Still, Southwest’s LAS traffic was down nearly 7% compared to October 2018, a decline that comes as Southwest grapples with the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX.
Still, Southwest’s passenger count as Las Vegas was more than double that of the No. 2 carrier. Spirit carried 489,315 Las Vegas passengers in October, enough to place ahead of No. 3 Delta (454,797) and No. 4 American (387,596).
This year, more than 43 million passengers have already traveled through the airport, putting it on a pace that could allow it to top 50 million annual travelers for the first time ever.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees