You read that right: The travel booking site Kayak is opening a hotel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kayak, one of the biggest travel search engines around, is opening a hotel in Miami Beach, Florida, next month.
According to reporting by Travel Weekly, the internet-based travel agency is planting its flag in the physical world in conjunction with Life House, a hotel group with several properties in the United States and around the world.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Kayak Miami Beach will feature 52 rooms in an art deco building dating back to 1934. It will feature a rooftop deck open to the public, a pool and a restaurant called Layla that will serve Mediterranean cuisine. Guests will also enjoy amenities like Le Labo toiletries, Marshall speakers and smart TVs in each room and bicycles, table games and more in the common areas.
Kayak envisions itself serving as a “one-stop-shop” for guests at boutique hotels so people can access new technologies without having to download a separate app each time they check-in to a new property.
Speaking with Travel Weekly, Kayak CEO Steve Hafner said its “app has already been downloaded by tens of millions of consumers. It’s consistent. They know how it works. So, consumers will say, ‘Gosh, I feel more comfortable choosing this independent hotel over a Marriott or Hilton because I know exactly what the check-in, checkout service experience is going to be like.'”
Kayak Miami Beach will serve as a hub to test these new offerings in the real world.
View this post on Instagram
Guests of the hotel can use the Kayak app not just as a digital room key and controller for certain in-room functions, but they will also be able to communicate with hotel staff, ask for upgrades and receive notifications for events related to their stay. And, in-lobby self-service kiosks will allow guests to complete check-in and peruse dining options.
Major hotel chains have been working over the years to add functionality to their mobile apps, including digital keys, automated check-in and checkout, food ordering, in-room TV remote control, communication between guests and staff, and more. And as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, travelers have begun to expect these features as standard practice — especially at high-end properties.
Independent and boutique hotels may have similar functionality, but it’s often delivered through their own mobile apps, creating a fractured experience for a guest who favors these types of properties over chain hotels.
So, while it remains to be seen whether Kayak’s vision of “unifying” the guest experience at independent and boutique hotels will come to fruition, the change in consumer expectations brought on by the pandemic leads us to believe that Kayak’s bet on creating consistency across hotels in its ecosystem just might pay off.
Hafner also told Travel Weekly that Kayak Miami Beach wouldn’t be the only Kayak hotel. The company is actively looking at new markets — and new types of properties — for the brand’s expansion. For now, though, rooms are available at Kayak Miami Beach from April 11, 2021, with nightly rates starting at around $230.
Featured image of Miami Beach by Pola Damonte via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees