Kayak Is Adding an ‘Aircraft Type’ Filter After the Second 737 MAX Crash
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the wake of the second 737 MAX 8 crash in less than five months, which resulted in the death of all 157 passengers on board an Ethiopian Airlines flight, at least one online travel agency (OTA) is moving to assuage travelers’ fears.
Kayak.com is the first OTA to announce that it’s offering travelers the option to filter their search by aircraft type. A spokesperson for Kayak said, “We’ve recently received feedback to make KAYAK’s filters more granular in order to exclude particular aircraft models from search queries. We are releasing that enhancement this week and are committed to providing our customers with all the information they need to travel with confidence.” The enhancement is not live yet.
This new addition to Kayak’s search options was announced just hours before the FAA decided to ground every 737 MAX in the US.
A spokesperson for Google Flights said that while it does not have a filter-by-aircraft option at this time, “Google Flights users can view the plane type for each flight in the expanded details section, prior to booking” as in the following example:
When asked if the site had any future plans to add a function similar to Kayak’s, the spokesperson said, “Not at this time.”
For more, read about how to differentiate the various types of Boeing 737s and how to tell if you’re flying on a Boeing 737 MAX.
TPG reached out to Expedia for comment on the matter and did not receive a response by time of publication.
Feature photo by lechatnoir / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees