K9s against coronavirus: The UAE implements sniffer dogs to detect COVID-19
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Puppies in airports and on planes have long been a thing, whether for emotional support or as service animals. And now, man’s best friend has been deployed against the greatest disruptor of 2020: Coronavirus.
For more news and deals sign up for our newsletter.
The United Arab Emirates has begun training K9 sniffer dogs to detect COVID-19, as first reported by The National and One Mile at a Time. The dogs have been stationed at airports across the country, including at high-traffic hub Dubai International Airport (DXB), to help detect traces of the coronavirus from passenger swabs.
“The test was very fast, absolutely easy to do and I was surprised that it was available upon arrival,” a passenger said in a video published by WAM and shared by The National, which depicts K9 dogs working with local handlers to help process incoming passengers more quickly and efficiently.
Open for business: What to know about visiting Dubai on points
Passenger samples are collected by partners from the local Dubai Health Authority,” said Maj. Salah Al Mazrooei from the Dubai Police Department in the video. “Results are out in less than one minute,” he said. Dedicated police teams have been working with the dogs throughout UAE airports to ensure the procedures follow protocol.
Scared of dogs? There’s nothing to fear; the dogs never come in direct contact with the passengers. Instead, they are exposed to passenger samples within the safety of an isolated room. The dogs allegedly can detect possible infection within mere seconds.
Despite this Middle East nation utilizing K9 resources as an additional defense against coronavirus spread, the dogs aren’t the only layer of defense for the UAE.
All visitors are required to follow stringent safety protocols when entering or departing the UAE, including PCR testing upon arrival for travelers from select countries including the U.S., and a mandatory requirement for negative COVID-19 test results for any arrival entering the country on or after Aug. 1, 2020.
Featured photo by Murmakova / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees