Marriott inks deal to open first JW Marriott in Spain next year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Located in the central Plaza de Canalejas, the JW Marriott in Madrid will open in 2022. With the opening of the property, it will become the first JW Marriott in Spain.
In total, the hotel will feature 139 rooms, including two floors of suites, which will all feature outdoor terraces. Additionally, the property will feature a lobby bar, restaurant and wellbeing spaces. The redesign of the building will be led by Madrid-based architecture firm Arvo Arquitectura de Juan.
“This incredible city is home to iconic architecture, an enviable culinary scene as well as stunning parks and botanical gardens, and the new JW Marriott Madrid is located in the heart of it all,” said Marriott SVP and Managing Director of Design Hotels in Europe, the Middle East and Africa Jenni Benzaquen.
At this time, there’s no indication from Marriott at what price point the JW Marriott will start, nor what Bonvoy members can expect in term of redemptions for award nights.
Marriott President EMEA Satya Anand said on Tuesday that the chain is focusing on its leisure markets in Europe as the group plans to return to full service.
Marriott is “optimistic that recovery is coming,” and that “leisure travel will return first,” Anand said.
The company has been using glimpses of increased demand from summer 2020 to provide a positive outlook for the summer 2021 season around the continent. Specifically, Marriott is looking at the “continued resilience of the luxury consumer.” Benzaquen detailed, for example, that Marriott’s high-end Bodrum Edition was at 90% occupancy last summer.
With the opening of the JW Marriott in Madrid in 2022, the chain is looking at capitalizing both on the demand for the luxury traveler but also on Spain as a destination. Elsewhere around the country, Mariott has plans to open new properties. In early 2022, Marriott will open the Madrid Edition, boasting 200 rooms and suites, as well as the W Madrid. Additionally, it’s opened the W Ibiza and will open the Hotel Riomar Ibiza, a Tribute Portfolio property. On the Canary Islands, it’s opened its first AC Hotel in Tenerife at the AC Hotel Tenerife.
Featured photo courtesy of Marriott.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees