Another ride-hailing app bites the dust: Juno ends services
Juno, the popular New York ride-hailing app, has ceased operations. In an email to users, the company announced that travelers will no longer be able to request rides on the app after today (Nov. 18). The company cited the “changing situation in the market” for its shutdown and encouraged riders to sign up for Lyft with a free $25 credit for new riders.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Juno’s site states that payments will be processed as they are during any typical weekly cycle, and will be paid on Tuesday by noon. As reported by Tech Crunch, Gett, Juno’s parent company said that “Juno drivers will be paid in full by Juno for all rides completed by Juno’s service end-date. All Juno riders will be invited to join Lyft.”
The app blamed regulations that mandated a minimum wage for workers. New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission last year approved raising all ride-hailing drivers’ minimum wages to $17.22 an hour across all app-based car services and yellow cabs. In response, prices for the majority of rides into Manhattan will increase by a flat charge of $2.75 more per trip and 75 cents for group rides, as we reported last year. Lyft and Juno filed a lawsuit in January to block New York City’s minimum-wage rules, which went into effect in February, according to New York Daily News. The lawsuit was dismissed in May.
If you’re unhappy with Juno’s shuttering, you still have access to several ride-hailing apps in New York City, such as Uber, Via and Lyft. Regardless of what app you use, make sure you’re maximizing your spending by using the right credit card.
Thanks to an expansive definition of travel, cardholders can earn 3 points per dollar spent on Lyft and Uber rides when using the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Ink Business Preferred Credit Card (up to $150,000 in combined purchases per account year on the Ink Business Preferred). With the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you’ll earn 2x points per dollar on ride-hailing purchases.
Finally, if you have The Platinum Card® from American Express in your wallet, cardmembers get $15 a month in Uber Cash for U.S. rides, plus a bonus of $20 in December along with Uber VIP status.
Featured photo by Merethe Svarstad/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees