Your Ride From New York City Airports Just Got More Expensive
It’s a good time to be an Uber driver in New York City — but it’s a bad time to hitch a ride. Starting at 12:01am on Saturday, all app-based ride-hailing services and yellow cabs will be raising the prices of trips in Manhattan in response to a new rule passed by the city.
Approved in December by New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission, the regulation raises all ride-hailing drivers’ minimum wages to $17.22 an hour across all app-based car services and yellow cabs. In response, prices for the majority of rides into Manhattan will increase by a flat charge of $2.75 more per trip and 75 cents for group rides.
An Uber spokesperson confirmed to TPG that if a cab or app service ride enters Manhattan below 96th street, it is subjected to the $2.75 surcharge. This means riders traveling from New York’s three main airports, John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA) located in Queens and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) in New Jersey must pay the charge if they are taking a ride in or out of Manhattan.
The charge is applied to all rides that enter Manhattan (below 96th) at any point. Riders traveling from the airports based in Queens to destinations on Long Island or Brooklyn would be spared the surcharge.
Additionally, Uber will now compensate drivers for their return trips after taking riders outside the city. According to Bloomberg, Uber told the court that they “do not intend to hold back any portion of drivers’ earnings.”
Passengers will also have five minutes to arrive at the pickup point rather than two, and drivers will be compensated for the full time they spend waiting after that. Uber will also begin to limit its premium Uber Black service to drivers with a 4.85 customer rating and up in May 2019.
The rule is part of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s effort to limit the growth of app-based, ride-hailing platforms and reduce traffic in NYC. Uber has no intentions of challenging the law in court. However, on Wednesday, both Lyft Inc. and Juno filed lawsuits against the rule citing that it gives “an automatic and perpetual advantage” to Uber, who is currently the industry leader.
Featured image by Ali Balikci/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees