How President-elect Biden plans to travel to his Washington, DC inauguration
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update Jan. 13: According to reports, president-elect Biden will no longer be riding Amtrak to his inauguration, due to security concerns.
It’s been an incredibly tumultuous few days for national politics. In less than two weeks, Joseph R. Biden, Jr. will be inaugurated as the 46th President of the United States, with a scaled-down ceremony intended to recognize the occasion while minimizing the risk of spreading COVID-19.
It’s no secret that Biden’s an Amtrak superfan — I imagine his Guest Rewards balance is more than healthy enough to lock in a few trips in a cross-country Roomette — so it probably comes as no great surprise that the president-elect has decided to travel to his Washington, D.C. inauguration via rail.
As CNN reports, “Amtrak Joe” will ride the national rail from Wilmington, Delaware’s Joseph R. Biden Jr. Railroad Station to Union Station in Washington, D.C. Biden is expected to take an Amtrak train on Jan. 19, the day before his inauguration.
It’s unclear which train Biden plans to ride, though there are only four Acela frequencies scheduled between Wilmington and Washington on the day of his trip. It’s also possible he’ll ride a regional train, or perhaps even a charter.
Train fans would likely love to see him on one of Amtrak’s new high-speed trains.
Related: Amtrak’s new high-speed train sets
Whichever train he ends up on, especially given the events of this past week, I’d expect exceptionally tight security at both stations that day, and throughout the entire journey as well.
Featured photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees