How President-elect Biden plans to travel to his Washington, DC inauguration
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update Jan. 13: According to reports, president-elect Biden will no longer be riding Amtrak to his inauguration, due to security concerns.
It’s been an incredibly tumultuous few days for national politics. In less than two weeks, Joseph R. Biden, Jr. will be inaugurated as the 46th President of the United States, with a scaled-down ceremony intended to recognize the occasion while minimizing the risk of spreading COVID-19.
It’s no secret that Biden’s an Amtrak superfan — I imagine his Guest Rewards balance is more than healthy enough to lock in a few trips in a cross-country Roomette — so it probably comes as no great surprise that the president-elect has decided to travel to his Washington, D.C. inauguration via rail.
As CNN reports, “Amtrak Joe” will ride the national rail from Wilmington, Delaware’s Joseph R. Biden Jr. Railroad Station to Union Station in Washington, D.C. Biden is expected to take an Amtrak train on Jan. 19, the day before his inauguration.
It’s unclear which train Biden plans to ride, though there are only four Acela frequencies scheduled between Wilmington and Washington on the day of his trip. It’s also possible he’ll ride a regional train, or perhaps even a charter.
Train fans would likely love to see him on one of Amtrak’s new high-speed trains.
Related: Amtrak’s new high-speed train sets
Whichever train he ends up on, especially given the events of this past week, I’d expect exceptionally tight security at both stations that day, and throughout the entire journey as well.
Featured photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.