JetBlue Moves One Step Closer to Expansion at JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that JetBlue has been eyeing expansion at its home airport of New York Kennedy (JFK). And as of Monday, the carrier has moved one step closer to a multibillion-dollar terminal expansion by selecting Vantage Airport Group and RXR Realty LLC to lead the effort.
The New York-based carrier’s expansion at JFK, which is estimated to cost between $2 billion and $3 billion, will play up its partnerships, providing travelers with a more seamless airport experience when connecting between a JetBlue flight and one with a partner airline. According to JetBlue’s Chief Financial Officer Steve Priest, the expansion could involve adding 12 larger gates to its operation, which would be able to accommodate the wide-body aircraft belonging to some of its partners.
Now that the carrier has selected its developers out of a possible 10 from which it was fielding bids, it moves to talks with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey about if — and when — it can proceed with the expansion.
As reported by The Wall Street Journal, JetBlue’s expansion plans at JFK involve not only its current home in Terminal 5, which houses 29 gates equipped to accommodate the carrier’s fleet of narrow-body aircraft. But also, the carrier plans to expand to its former home at Terminal 6, which was demolished in 2011 and to which it retains exclusive rights to redevelop. Not only that, but JetBlue has expressed interest in potentially expanding to Terminal 7, which is currently occupied by British Airways. That lease is set to expire in 2022.
The carrier’s 29 gates at JFK are enough to sustain its current operations — roughly 175 departures daily. It also shares the space with its partners Aer Lingus, Hawaiian and TAP Portugal.
Each of JFK’s six terminals is operated by a different airline or company. The proposed JetBlue expansion comes at the same time the Port Authority is getting set to begin a $10 billion redevelopment of the airport. Currently, the Port Authority is weighing proposals from each of its operators, and this summer, it will decide which can proceed and in which order.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees