JetBlue Cabin Crew Saved a French Bulldog With an Oxygen Mask
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A french bulldog named Darcy was having trouble breathing on a JetBlue flight from Florida to Massachusetts when a flight attendant intervened and gave her an oxygen mask that might’ve just saved her life.
The 3-year-old pup was sitting on her owner’s lap as a flight attendant walked by to assist another passenger. The JetBlue crew member, Renaud Fenster, described what he saw to ABC. “I believe the dog passed out,” Fenster said. “The dog started panting very rapidly and uncontrollably, and so as a French bulldog owner myself, I knew the dog was overheating and needed some ice.” When ice didn’t help, Fenster decided to treat Darcy for hypoxia with an oxygen mask.
After a few minutes of holding the mask to Darcy’s face, owner Michele Burt said that “she became alert and after a short time she didn’t want the mask.”
Hypoxia is a serious oxygen deficiency that can be deadly, so it’s not a stretch to say that this flight attendant might have saved the pooch’s life. “I believe [crew members] Renaud and Diane saved a life, some may reduce the value of the life because Darcy is a canine, I do not,” said Michele.
TPG doesn’t discriminate with our love of dogs, but the french bulldog breed is one that’s close to our hearts, given that all three of The Points Pups (@thepointspups) are Frenchies.
Darcy’s bout of hypoxia comes as US airlines have had some high-profile pet deaths on board flights recently. United had a Frenchie die mid-flight in March after a flight attendant put the dog’s carrier in the overhead bin, and Delta had a Pomeranian die in its cargo facility in June.
H/T: ABC News
Featured image by Michele and Steven Burt.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.