Get up to 40% discount when buying JetBlue points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with the latest promotion.
For a limited time, you can get up to a 40% discount when you purchase JetBlue TrueBlue points. The tiered promo lasts through Jan. 23, 2020. A discount kicks in when you purchase a minimum of 3,000 points, but the bonus grows the more points you buy.
JetBlue is known for offering targeted buy-miles offers, so your offer may vary. Here’s the discount offer I received:
- Purchase 3,000 to 9,500 points: Get a 20% discount
- Purchase 10,000 to 29,500 points: Get a 30% discount
- Purchase 30,000 points: Get a 40% discount
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Buying points and miles without a bonus is rarely a good idea, but sometimes travelers can get enough value out of their miles and points that it can make sense. Several of us at TPG max out our points purchases from airlines and hotels, taking advantage when there’s a solid buy-points bonus — as we get more value from these points than what we pay by taking advantage of sweet spots.
That’s possible because many programs are region- or distance-based points/miles redemption programs, rather than strictly revenue-based programs. The problem with revenue-based redemptions is that there’s a fairly fixed value that you’re going to get from these points and miles.
And JetBlue TrueBlue is one of these types of programs.
That makes it easy for TPG to calculate a fixed value of TrueBlue points at 1.3 cents each. However, it also means you’re not going to get much more than this in value from any TrueBlue redemption.
TrueBlue points typically cost 3.8 cents each including the tax recovery fee, and this promotion only lowers the cost to 1.77 cents per point with the 40% discount points offer. So even with the largest discount, you’d still be paying far more than what these TrueBlue points are worth — making this promotion a skip for most travelers.
If you’re just a bit shy of an award flight, buying a small number of points to bridge the gap might make sense — and this promotion will at least let you do that at a discount.
However, you should consider other options first. You can transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1, instant transfer) or American Express Membership Rewards (250:200, instant transfer). Or, you could pool your points with up to six other JetBlue TrueBlue members to get enough for the redemption.
Note that you can purchase a maximum of 30,000 points per transaction, and a maximum of 120,000 points per calendar year. That means you can buy a maximum of 30,000 points each in four consecutive transactions.
Which credit card to use
So, you’ll want to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, The Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards (on the first $50,000 per year; then 1x thereafter), or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5% cash back would be the most rewarding choices.
Related: The best travel rewards credit cards
Featured photo by Tomás Del Coro/Flickr.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees