See how J.D. Power’s car-rental rankings stack up against TPG’s findings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Want to rent a car from a company you’ll actually be happy to work with?
J.D. Power, the company behind the well-known customer satisfaction surveys, just released its annual North America Rental Car Satisfaction Study. Based on responses gathered from 9,382 business and leisure travelers who rented a car from an airport location between August 2018 and August 2019, the study measured overall customer satisfaction based on factors like reservation and pick-up process, as well as costs and fees.
According to the study, customer satisfaction among rental car companies at airport locations has risen to a record high of 843 (on a 1,000-point scale). And the good news for travelers? There really isn’t much of a spread between the top- and bottom-ranked companies.
J.D. Power cites increased competition between rental companies for this year’s record ratings, and identified a “smooth pick-up process” as the “key differentiator” between companies due to the correlation between pick-up wait time and customer satisfaction.
Related: How to save on rental cars
Stealing the top spot from last year’s winner, Enterprise, Hertz earned the highest ratings not only for overall customer satisfaction but also for a number of other categories, too.
Earlier this year, TPG tested the various benefits of National and Hertz’s choose-your-own-vehicle programs to help readers decide whether National Emerald Executive Aisle or Hertz Ultimate Choice President’s Circle is a better program. TPG concluded that National’s program offered members the best value and selection, but noted there were other factors worth considering when choosing between the two programs, such as how you can achieve elite status and how many miles your rental will have on it.
These findings may seem somewhat at odds with the rankings from J.D. Power, especially given that National ranks fourth in J.D. Power’s study. But TPG was focused solely on the benefits of the choose-your-own-vehicle program membership between the two programs, not overall customer satisfaction. Also, J.D. Power’s survey shows just a 13-point difference in the overall satisfaction rating between Hertz and National — which frankly isn’t much.
Taking J.D. Power’s survey into account along with TPG’s findings, you could reasonably assume that travelers looking for the choose-your-own-vehicle option along with consistent customer service won’t be disappointed with National. But if you aren’t concerned with that particular benefit, Hertz might be your best bet for a quality experience — especially if you have the United Club Card in your wallet, which allows you to claim Hertz Gold Plus Rewards President’s Circle status as soon as the card arrives in the mail.
The information for the United Club has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image by ablokhin/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees