Japan Train Operator Apologizes for Leaving Station 25 Seconds Early
In case anyone’s forgotten that Japan works very differently from most other places, a train company made a public apology this week after a train left the station 25 seconds early.
The world fell apart when the train conductor, who thought his train was scheduled to leave Notogawa Station on Friday at 7:11, closed his commuter train doors one minute early, pulling out of the station 25 seconds ahead of the actual scheduled time of 7:12. The conductor realized his mistake before departing but didn’t see any waiting passengers on the platform, so he carried on with his early departure — and his error.
Unfortunately, he was wrong about the passengers — there were people who still wanted to get on. They complained to the rail operator, JR West, which offered an official apology shortly after.
This was the second incident involving over-zealous departure times in recent history, and the operator admitted that the “great inconvenience we placed upon our customers was truly inexcusable”.
If only the MTA would take a page from JR West’s book.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.