Japan Now Has the Most Powerful Passport in the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japanese citizens, now’s the time to take a vacation somewhere exotic.
Why? Japan has officially become the most universally accepted passport in the world, according to the Henley Passport Index.
With visa-free or visa-on-arrival entry to 190 countries worldwide as of 2018, Japan beat out other powerful contenders after gaining access to Myanmar. Close runner-ups include Singapore, which is currently situated close at 189, and Germany, France and South Korea — all of which are tied at 188.
The United States and the United Kingdom have both dropped down one spot as well. Having remained stagnant for the past year, both the US and the UK acquired no new access to countries and are predicted to drop further in the rankings, which is a far cry from their tie for first place in 2015.
At the bottom of the Henley list are Afghanistan and Iraq. The two countries are tied for last place with visa-free or visa-on-arrival entry to only 30 jurisdictions.
The Henley Passport Index uses information taken from the International Air Transport Association (IATA). According to Group Chairman of Henley & Partners Dr. Christian H. Kälin, index “is an important tool for measuring not only the relative strength of the world’s passports but also the extraordinary results that states can achieve when they work hand in hand with their global peers to build a more interconnected and collaborative world.”
Featured image by MichikoDesign / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.