Is This the Future of Economy Seats?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret that airlines try to configure as many seats into an aircraft as possible without sacrificing safety and (sometimes) comfort (let’s hope this mini-seat doesn’t become the new norm). Passengers who fly in economy know that ample pitch is hard to come by in the rear of an aircraft. One company, PearsonLloyd, has developed an economy seat that would give passengers more space and comfort. It’s called the Eco Seat.
PearsonLloyd is a London-based design firm that specializes in aviation, workplace, healthcare and urban environments. They designed this seat with the challenge of making crammed passengers more comfortable and making the economy cabin feel roomier while keeping the seat as light and strong as its predecessors.
The Eco Seat is designed around a thin shell and has a contoured spine that follows an ergonomic curve all the way up to the headrest. The company says this design allows for more comfortable upright sitting. A key improvement, according to PearsonLloyd, is the headrest which has been separated from the rest of the chair to improve sight lines for passengers.
The seat includes two storage compartments and a newly designed tray table that is not only much thinner, but it will also fold out and have extra leaves that extend it to the width of the chair. The elastic pouch typically found at the base on the rear of seats will be removed with this design.
Each seat will be covered with recycled plastic partially made from sunflower seeds, and the aluminum elements will be made from recycled aircraft. There will also be a space for a video screen.
“For long-haul some of these proposals make sense,” Luke Pearson, director of PearsonLloyd, told fastcodesign.com. “For short haul, we may see similar more radical options. It’s very hard to predict, though, how long cheap fuel will facilitate cheap travel.”
In 2017, PearsonLloyd’s economy class seating launched in Lufthansa’s A350. They’ve also created business class seating for the airline’s B747. TPG reached out to PearsonLloyd to see if they have spoken with any airlines about installing the new economy seat but has not received a response.
Images courtesy of Neutral Digital via Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees