Is It a Good Deal to Redeem Your SkyMiles for Delta Gift Cards?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Airlines has added a new way for flyers to redeem their SkyMiles. Now, SkyMiles members can “cash out” their miles for Delta gift cards.
Below are the miles needed to redeem for a gift card. Unfortunately, there’s only five different redemption levels, so you’ll need a certain number of miles to redeem.
|Gift Card Value||Miles Needed|
So, is this worth it? Definitely not. These redemptions value SkyMiles at a meager .7 cents apiece. TPG values them at 1.2 cents a pop.
Additionally, if you’re a Delta co-brand credit card holder, you can get at least 1 cent per mile in value when using Delta’s “Pay With Miles” program. When using “Pay With Miles” you have to redeem in increments of 5,000 miles apiece for $50 toward the cost of the ticket, but you’ll be able to earn MQMs for the flight — although not MQDs or redeemable miles. Granted, if you used a Delta gift card for a flight, you’d earn MQMs, MQDs and redeemable miles.
Note that these are physical gift cards, too, and you’ll have to pay cash if you want an e-gift card.
Unless you really want a gift card, it’s definitely a better deal to redeem your miles directly for flights or by using “Pay With Miles,” especially considering the trend of SkyMiles being worth more and more these days.
H/T: Laptop Travel
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.