This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Airlines has added a new way for flyers to redeem their SkyMiles. Now, SkyMiles members can “cash out” their miles for Delta gift cards.
Below are the miles needed to redeem for a gift card. Unfortunately, there’s only five different redemption levels, so you’ll need a certain number of miles to redeem.
|Gift Card Value||Miles Needed|
So, is this worth it? Definitely not. These redemptions value SkyMiles at a meager .7 cents apiece. TPG values them at 1.2 cents a pop.
Additionally, if you’re a Delta co-brand credit card holder, you can get at least 1 cent per mile in value when using Delta’s “Pay With Miles” program. When using “Pay With Miles” you have to redeem in increments of 5,000 miles apiece for $50 toward the cost of the ticket, but you’ll be able to earn MQMs for the flight — although not MQDs or redeemable miles. Granted, if you used a Delta gift card for a flight, you’d earn MQMs, MQDs and redeemable miles.
Note that these are physical gift cards, too, and you’ll have to pay cash if you want an e-gift card.
Unless you really want a gift card, it’s definitely a better deal to redeem your miles directly for flights or by using “Pay With Miles,” especially considering the trend of SkyMiles being worth more and more these days.
H/T: Laptop Travel
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees