This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Airlines has added a new way for flyers to redeem their SkyMiles. Now, SkyMiles members can “cash out” their miles for Delta gift cards.
Below are the miles needed to redeem for a gift card. Unfortunately, there’s only five different redemption levels, so you’ll need a certain number of miles to redeem.
|Gift Card Value||Miles Needed|
So, is this worth it? Definitely not. These redemptions value SkyMiles at a meager .7 cents apiece. TPG values them at 1.2 cents a pop.
Additionally, if you’re a Delta co-brand credit card holder, you can get at least 1 cent per mile in value when using Delta’s “Pay With Miles” program. When using “Pay With Miles” you have to redeem in increments of 5,000 miles apiece for $50 toward the cost of the ticket, but you’ll be able to earn MQMs for the flight — although not MQDs or redeemable miles. Granted, if you used a Delta gift card for a flight, you’d earn MQMs, MQDs and redeemable miles.
Note that these are physical gift cards, too, and you’ll have to pay cash if you want an e-gift card.
Unless you really want a gift card, it’s definitely a better deal to redeem your miles directly for flights or by using “Pay With Miles,” especially considering the trend of SkyMiles being worth more and more these days.
H/T: Laptop Travel
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees