IHG removing free Kindle book perk in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you’re an IHG Rewards Club member and you enjoyed your free Kindle book perk, there’s some bad news for you. The benefit that allows members to download free books to a Kindle device or app is going away, as first reported by Frequent Miler.
According to the site, you have until Dec. 31, 2019 to take advantage of free Kindle eBooks, which are offered as a tiered benefit depending on your IHG elite status:
- Club members receive 1 free download biannually
- Gold Elite members receive 1 free download per quarter
- Platinum Elite members receive 2 free downloads per quarter
- Spire Elite members receive 3 free downloads per quarter
Note that the selection is fairly limited. I don’t have status with IHG, but I was able to pull up 22 books — mostly fiction titles like Chaser and The Memory of Us. If you’re like me and didn’t even know this was an option, or you read books on Kindle for free via Amazon Prime, you probably aren’t missing out.
If you’re an IHG loyalist and want other perks, you may want to consider adding the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card to your wallet. Among other benefits, you’ll receive the following:
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- A reward night after each account anniversary at IHG hotels that cost 40,000 points or less per night
- The fourth night free on award stays of four or more consecutive nights
- Platinum elite status as long as you hold the card
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application fee credit every four years (up to $100)
Featured photo by bady qb/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!