IHG Switching to Bulk-Size Bathroom Amenities At Nearly 843,000 Rooms Worldwide
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Love them or hate them, small plastic bathroom amenity bottles are vanishing from an ever-growing number of hotel rooms. In May 2018, both Marriott and IHG announced plans to ditch the mini-bottles at certain brands.
Now the InterContinental Hotels Group is announcing the end of mini-bottles at all of its hotels. The hotel group will transition its entire portfolio of almost 843,000 guest rooms to “bulk-size bathroom amenities.” The process is expected to be completed by mid-2021.
IHG points out that this pledge “makes IHG the first global hotel company to commit all brands to removing bathroom miniatures in favour of bulk-size amenities.”
A number of IHG brands have already made the transition. Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites and Holiday Inn Express have been in the process of switching over since the May 2018 announcement. Over 1,000 Holiday Inn Express properties have already completed the switch. In addition, three of IHG newest brands have had bulk-size bathroom amenities since their launch: EVEN Hotels, Avid and Voco.
CEO Keith Barr says that these efforts have led to “almost a third of our estate already adopting the change.” Still, IHG reports using an average of 200 million bathroom miniatures every year worldwide.
Although IHG hasn’t shared the amount of plastic reduction from these efforts so far, the Voco Gold Coast — the first hotel to transition to the Voco brand — reportedly achieving a 80% reduction in plastic waste from the transition to bulk bathroom amenity bottles.
This is another step forward for IHG in reducing its plastic waste. In October 2018, IHG announced it would eliminate all single-use plastic straws from its portfolio by the end of 2019 — a commitment it confirmed in Tuesday’s announcement.
Featured image by Katie Genter/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees