World of Hyatt Adding Dozens of High-End Hotels in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Long before a merger with Marriott was finalized, we heard rumblings that Starwood might be acquired by one of its largest competitors: Hyatt Hotels. As we’re all well aware now, that potential deal never panned out, with Starwood and the beloved SPG program making its way to Marriott’s portfolio, instead.
Still, Hyatt’s continued to pursue opportunities to expand its footprint, through smaller deals, from a partnership with Miraval to an ongoing loyalty agreement with M Life. And World of Hyatt members will soon have even more great options when it comes time to earn and redeem — in one of the chain’s biggest announcements to date, Hyatt just shared plans to acquire Two Roads Hospitality, the group that manages brands such as Joie de Vivre Hotels, Thompson Hotels, Destination Hotels and Alila Hotels & Resorts, with 85+ properties in eight countries around the world.
As a New Yorker, I’m well acquainted with Thompson, which manages properties in Manhattan, including the phenomenal Beekman Hotel, along with locations in Chicago, Nashville and other North American cities. Another Two Roads brand, Destination Hotels, also offers properties I’m curious to check out, including L’Auberge de Sedona in Arizona and Stowe Mountain Lodge in Vermont.
It’s not yet clear which properties will make their way to World of Hyatt, though some members of Two Roads’ “Affiliate Hotels” group, such as Aloft Charlotte and DoubleTree Boston Bedford Glen, almost certainly won’t, since they’re members of Marriott Rewards and Hilton Honors, respectively.
In total, Hyatt expects to purchase the chain for $480 million, with the possibility of future investments as well. The deal is expected to close later this year, with properties becoming available for World of Hyatt earning and redemption in 2019.
Featured image courtesy of The Beekman Hotel.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.