This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Long before a merger with Marriott was finalized, we heard rumblings that Starwood might be acquired by one of its largest competitors: Hyatt Hotels. As we’re all well aware now, that potential deal never panned out, with Starwood and the beloved SPG program making its way to Marriott’s portfolio, instead.
Still, Hyatt’s continued to pursue opportunities to expand its footprint, through smaller deals, from a partnership with Miraval to an ongoing loyalty agreement with M Life. And World of Hyatt members will soon have even more great options when it comes time to earn and redeem — in one of the chain’s biggest announcements to date, Hyatt just shared plans to acquire Two Roads Hospitality, the group that manages brands such as Joie de Vivre Hotels, Thompson Hotels, Destination Hotels and Alila Hotels & Resorts, with 85+ properties in eight countries around the world.
As a New Yorker, I’m well acquainted with Thompson, which manages properties in Manhattan, including the phenomenal Beekman Hotel, along with locations in Chicago, Nashville and other North American cities. Another Two Roads brand, Destination Hotels, also offers properties I’m curious to check out, including L’Auberge de Sedona in Arizona and Stowe Mountain Lodge in Vermont.
It’s not yet clear which properties will make their way to World of Hyatt, though some members of Two Roads’ “Affiliate Hotels” group, such as Aloft Charlotte and DoubleTree Boston Bedford Glen, almost certainly won’t, since they’re members of Marriott Rewards and Hilton Honors, respectively.
In total, Hyatt expects to purchase the chain for $480 million, with the possibility of future investments as well. The deal is expected to close later this year, with properties becoming available for World of Hyatt earning and redemption in 2019.
Featured image courtesy of The Beekman Hotel.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that