How You Can Visit Museums For Free This September
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Patrons of the arts, music, history and more — you have the opportunity to visit a bevy of free museums across the US this September. All you have to do is download a ticket.
As a part of an annual celebration, Smithsonian Magazine is presenting its nationwide ‘Museum Day’ on Sept. 21. For those unfamiliar with this tradition, Museum Day is a one-day-only event in which participating museums, historical sites, heritage centers, zoos and more offer free entry to patrons with a special Museum Day ticket.
This year, Museum Day will also have a theme. To kick off the “Smithsonian Year of Music,” which will open the Smithsonian’s “vast musical collections and resources” with a year-long schedule of programming centered around music, the day will also offer patrons access to special Smithsonian presentations or activities.“Music is a natural fit for Museum Day as this is Smithsonian’s Year of Music,” says Amy Wilkins, Chief Revenue Officer at Smithsonian Media in a press release. “It’s the perfect theme that unites us all.”
The Smithsonian says that they are expecting over 1,500 museums to participate this year across all 50 states. However, as Sept. 21 grows nearer, the organization expects more cultural institutions to join in. To find a museum or other institution near you, you can search through the Smithsonian website, here.
As of now, a majority of the locations participating in Museum day are either historical institutions or art museums. There are also about 30 ‘air and space’ museums participating, 27 zoos and gardens and 75 places designated for children and families. Some notable aviation/travel related spots to check out include the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, PA; the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum in Honolulu, HI; the American Space Museum Titusville, FL and the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York, NY — which also happens to be where we held last year’s TPG Awards Show.
Tickets will be available for download to the public on August 15, 2019. You can download them here.
Featured image by Glowimages via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees