How You Can Visit Museums For Free This September
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Patrons of the arts, music, history and more — you have the opportunity to visit a bevy of free museums across the US this September. All you have to do is download a ticket.
As a part of an annual celebration, Smithsonian Magazine is presenting its nationwide ‘Museum Day’ on Sept. 21. For those unfamiliar with this tradition, Museum Day is a one-day-only event in which participating museums, historical sites, heritage centers, zoos and more offer free entry to patrons with a special Museum Day ticket.
This year, Museum Day will also have a theme. To kick off the “Smithsonian Year of Music,” which will open the Smithsonian’s “vast musical collections and resources” with a year-long schedule of programming centered around music, the day will also offer patrons access to special Smithsonian presentations or activities.“Music is a natural fit for Museum Day as this is Smithsonian’s Year of Music,” says Amy Wilkins, Chief Revenue Officer at Smithsonian Media in a press release. “It’s the perfect theme that unites us all.”
The Smithsonian says that they are expecting over 1,500 museums to participate this year across all 50 states. However, as Sept. 21 grows nearer, the organization expects more cultural institutions to join in. To find a museum or other institution near you, you can search through the Smithsonian website, here.
As of now, a majority of the locations participating in Museum day are either historical institutions or art museums. There are also about 30 ‘air and space’ museums participating, 27 zoos and gardens and 75 places designated for children and families. Some notable aviation/travel related spots to check out include the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, PA; the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum in Honolulu, HI; the American Space Museum Titusville, FL and the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York, NY — which also happens to be where we held last year’s TPG Awards Show.
Tickets will be available for download to the public on August 15, 2019. You can download them here.
Featured image by Glowimages via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.