How to Get Some of the World’s Most Expensive Hotel Buffet Breakfasts for Free
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Luxury hotels have some of the most extravagant breakfast buffets you will ever see. This is especially true in Asia and the Middle East. Endless options from fresh fruits and smoothies through to a full fry-up, sweet and savory, eggs any way you can think of and different stations with dishes from around the world.
As you might expect, these breakfasts don’t come cheap. Buffet breakfasts at major five-star hotels can easily be $50 or more per person. The St Regis New York, one of the most expensive and aspirational properties in the Marriott Group, lists its buffet breakfast at an eye-watering $55 per person.
You may never dream of paying that much for a hotel breakfast no matter how opulent it is — especially in a city like New York, where you could easily grab a good coffee and a bagel from a local deli for under $10.
But there’s a way to receive a full buffet breakfast for free every morning of your stay. The key is choosing a hotel that provides free breakfast for elite members.
Each loyalty programme has a slightly different rule when it comes to the breakfast benefit for their elite members. Here’s a summary of the major programs:
- Hilton Honors: Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors elites can select free breakfast for themselves and one additional guest on their reservation at the following brands: Canopy by Hilton, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Curio – A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts.
- Marriott Bonvoy: Platinum/Titanium Elites can receive free breakfast at most of the more than two dozen different hotel brands, although it is a little complicated ‚ read the full TPG Guide to Marriott Elite Status Breakfast Benefits.
- World of Hyatt: Globalist members receive free breakfast on paid or award stays. The lower level Discoverist and Explorist elite tiers don’t get free breakfast by themselves, but members can earn two Club lounge certificates starting with 20 annual Hyatt nights per year. You can apply the certificates to stays at Hyatt hotels with a Club lounge, where you can enjoy free breakfast (and more).
- Radisson Rewards: Platinum members receive a free continental breakfast in North America with a full breakfast at properties outside of North America.
- Accor Le Club: Platinum Members and one registered guest can receive free breakfast in the Asia-Pacific region only.
Some individual hotels can elect to stray from their associated programme’s breakfast policy, especially with resort properties. For example, the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort doesn’t offer free breakfast for its elites. If you have an upcoming stay and are planning to take advantage of the free breakfast benefit as an elite, it could be worthwhile to run a quick search in advance of your stay to ensure the property allows elites to brekkie for free.
Featured photo by Samantha Rosen / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.