All Hotel Point Transfers to Lufthansa Suspended With No Notice
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa’s Miles & More program has just become even less accessible to US-based award travelers. Not being a part a partner of any of the major transferable credit card points programs, the only way to transfer points into Miles & More has been through hotels. However, that’s not possible anymore.
As first reported by a user on FlyerTalk, Marriott Bonvoy points are no longer transferring to Lufthansa, despite it still showing as an option on Marriott’s website. A Marriott spokesperson confirmed this in an email to TPG:
“We have had to suspend Lufthansa Miles & More as a Marriott Bonvoy points to miles transfer partner at the request of Lufthansa Miles & More in connection with German regulations. This suspension is not specific to the Marriott Bonvoy program and other Lufthansa Miles & More hotel partners have taken the same action. Points to miles transfers from member accounts were made through May 20, 2019 and any transfers occurring after that date will be returned to the member’s account. We will share a timeline soon for when we expect the points to be returned. We are working to ensure all pages on our digital and mobile sites reflect this change in the status of Lufthansa Miles & More. We apologize for the inconvenience to members and look forward to providing updates about Lufthansa Miles & More once we have them.”
As mentioned by the spokesperson, other hotel partners have cut Lufthansa Miles & More as a transfer partner as well, though a Radisson spokesperson suggested to TPG that the drop is only temporary:
“As of May 24, Miles & More (Lufthansa) mileage redemption has been temporarily suspended as part of the Radisson Rewards redemption program.”
This loss came with no prior notice for members. Based on the statement from Marriott, it is likely that this has to do with an ongoing lawsuit against Miles & More. Düsseldorf news site Handelsblatt reports that a member of the program is trying to cash out miles, claiming that miles are e-cash. This traveler is seeking more than €21,000 for 715,000 miles, which would value them at over 3.3 cents apiece — well above TPG’s most recent valuations, which pegged Miles & More miles at just 1.4 cents.
We have reached out to Lufthansa Miles & More for more information on this matter as well as the other major hotel rewards programs, but have not heard back at the time of publication.
Featured image by Ryan Patterson for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.