Horseshoe Bend Is So Insta-Worthy, It Added an Entrance Fee
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of Arizona’s most famous overlooks is no longer free for gawking. Effective immediately, the city of Page has instituted a “parking fee” to stop to see — and photograph — Horseshoe Bend, a landmark in the American southwest and part of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Parking fees are $10 per car and $5 per motorcycle, while commercial vans or buses are $35 (up to 14 passengers), $70 (up to 35 passengers), and $140 (over 35 passengers).
For those road-tripping from Grand Canyon National Park‘s north rim to Monument Valley, pausing in the area surrounding Antelope Canyon has long been a must. In the age of Instagram, what was always a photogenic (and easy to reach) spot has drawn added fame and crowds. Park administrators and the City of Page say that “monies collected will be utilized for future improvements at the site,” but details are slim.
Worse, National Park Service passes are not valid, as the parking lot is managed by the city of Page, not the park service.
The pathway which leads to the overlook from the parking lot is on public land, with the portion of the new American Disability Act (ADA) trail closest to the rim opening for use earlier this month. Horseshoe Bend will not be fully ADA accessible until the portion of the trail from the parking lot is completed. Per the National Park Service, construction continues on the remainder of the trail “which will include two shade shelters and connect the new parking lot to the rim.”
Leveraging social media to make the most of your travels was a recent topic on our Miles Away podcast. While the power of Instagram is great for finding locales that have remained best-kept secrets, it’s also chipping away at the number of places left untouched by influencers.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
All photos by Darren Murph / TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees