Hong Kong Airlines Wants a Favor in Exchange for Mistake Fare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline mistake fares still happen on a regular basis, but the rare breed nowadays is the airline that honors the must lucrative mistake fares.
In situations where the prices are ridiculously low, airlines argue that passengers should have known it was a mistake and cancel the bookings accordingly. Hong Kong Airlines set itself apart when it chose to honor $600 round-trip flights from the US to Asia last year. Even better, folks were able to book the carrier’s brand new Airbus A350.
Hong Kong Airlines was light-hearted and timely in honoring the fares, the perfect recipe if you want to build some good mojo with customers. Since honoring the fare, they’ve asked those lucky customers to do them a favor. When you score the deal of a lifetime on a business class ticket to Asia for less than the price of most coach tickets, doing a favor for the airlines seems worth considering, right?
Just a couple of pictures and some hashtags, that’s easy enough. We checked out the hashtags on file and found a few of our favorites to share:
The Bottom Line
Deals like this don’t come along very often. The Airbus A350 is a pretty special new plane that many travelers haven’t gotten to experience yet. The TPG team has been busy reviewing it for you. Don’t judge, but we may have used one of those awesome mistake fares ourselves to score a look at the business class product on the A350. TPG Global News Editor Emily McNutt got to ride up front and show us how the business class looks. Senior Points & Miles Editor JT Genter drew the short straw and got to test out the back of the plane.
Hong Kong Airlines has done a great job handling this mistake fare. The airline was honest with customers and responded in a timely manner.
And, they honored the fare! Most carriers in similar situations haven’t done the same. The fact that they continue to find a way to capitalize on the mistake while providing customers with a smile is a sign that Hong Kong Airlines might be an airline you want to consider in the future.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.