This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline mistake fares still happen on a regular basis, but the rare breed nowadays is the airline that honors the must lucrative mistake fares.
In situations where the prices are ridiculously low, airlines argue that passengers should have known it was a mistake and cancel the bookings accordingly. Hong Kong Airlines set itself apart when it chose to honor $600 round-trip flights from the US to Asia last year. Even better, folks were able to book the carrier’s brand new Airbus A350.
Hong Kong Airlines was light-hearted and timely in honoring the fares, the perfect recipe if you want to build some good mojo with customers. Since honoring the fare, they’ve asked those lucky customers to do them a favor. When you score the deal of a lifetime on a business class ticket to Asia for less than the price of most coach tickets, doing a favor for the airlines seems worth considering, right?
Just a couple of pictures and some hashtags, that’s easy enough. We checked out the hashtags on file and found a few of our favorites to share:
The Bottom Line
Deals like this don’t come along very often. The Airbus A350 is a pretty special new plane that many travelers haven’t gotten to experience yet. The TPG team has been busy reviewing it for you. Don’t judge, but we may have used one of those awesome mistake fares ourselves to score a look at the business class product on the A350. TPG Global News Editor Emily McNutt got to ride up front and show us how the business class looks. Senior Points & Miles Editor JT Genter drew the short straw and got to test out the back of the plane.
Hong Kong Airlines has done a great job handling this mistake fare. The airline was honest with customers and responded in a timely manner.
And, they honored the fare! Most carriers in similar situations haven’t done the same. The fact that they continue to find a way to capitalize on the mistake while providing customers with a smile is a sign that Hong Kong Airlines might be an airline you want to consider in the future.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees