Hong Kong Airlines Wants a Favor in Exchange for Mistake Fare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airline mistake fares still happen on a regular basis, but the rare breed nowadays is the airline that honors the must lucrative mistake fares.
In situations where the prices are ridiculously low, airlines argue that passengers should have known it was a mistake and cancel the bookings accordingly. Hong Kong Airlines set itself apart when it chose to honor $600 round-trip flights from the US to Asia last year. Even better, folks were able to book the carrier’s brand new Airbus A350.
Hong Kong Airlines was light-hearted and timely in honoring the fares, the perfect recipe if you want to build some good mojo with customers. Since honoring the fare, they’ve asked those lucky customers to do them a favor. When you score the deal of a lifetime on a business class ticket to Asia for less than the price of most coach tickets, doing a favor for the airlines seems worth considering, right?
Just a couple of pictures and some hashtags, that’s easy enough. We checked out the hashtags on file and found a few of our favorites to share:
The Bottom Line
Deals like this don’t come along very often. The Airbus A350 is a pretty special new plane that many travelers haven’t gotten to experience yet. The TPG team has been busy reviewing it for you. Don’t judge, but we may have used one of those awesome mistake fares ourselves to score a look at the business class product on the A350. TPG Global News Editor Emily McNutt got to ride up front and show us how the business class looks. Senior Points & Miles Editor JT Genter drew the short straw and got to test out the back of the plane.
Hong Kong Airlines has done a great job handling this mistake fare. The airline was honest with customers and responded in a timely manner.
And, they honored the fare! Most carriers in similar situations haven’t done the same. The fact that they continue to find a way to capitalize on the mistake while providing customers with a smile is a sign that Hong Kong Airlines might be an airline you want to consider in the future.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees