This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Okay so last night’s Super Bowl was a little bit of a snoozer, but there was one thing in the night that was as enduring as eating snacks and looking forward to commercials during the game — the “I’m going to Disney World!” phrase screamed as the confetti fell at the end.
This year, it was New England Patriots’ MVP, Julian Edelman, and quarterback Tom Brady’s turn to enthusiastically utter the famous phrase. (Not Tom Brady’s first time to say the magical phrase, I might add.)
Brady-Edelman “We’re Going to Disney World” spot released.
Pair set to make an appearance there later today. #SuperBowl
— Austin Kellerman (@AustinKellerman) February 4, 2019
Putting the iconic Disney commercial together in the seconds after the game ends doesn’t look like the easiest job in television — look at the Disney cards desperately trying to make their way to Tom Brady.
hardest working man on the field is the Disney PR person desperately trying to hand Tom Brady a sign that says “I’m Going To Disney World” pic.twitter.com/tPKXZPWHvg
— Cabel (@cabel) February 4, 2019
The commercial got its start after the 1987 Super Bowl when winning quarterback Phil Simms was the first to take in a nice payday in exchange for saying a couple lines and taking a trip to Disney World. It has happened almost every year since then. And yes, the players who say the magic phrase really do go to Disney World or Disneyland, usually the very next day.
In fact, if you are ever at Disney World, or occasionally Disneyland, on the day after the Super Bowl — there’s a decent chance you will see some representatives from the winning Super Bowl team take their place in a celebratory parade down Main Street, U.S.A.
Today at 2:40pm will mark the fifth time Patriots players have participated in a celebratory parade at Disney Parks. No other NFL team has had a player appear more than four times, so they should be pretty good at their parade waves by now.
If you can’t make it to the park this afternoon, for $24.99 you can have your own piece of Disney and Super Bowl history by picking up a shirt or hat from Disney’s online shop that says, “What are you going to do next?” on the front and, naturally, “I’m going to Disney World!” on the back. Definitive proof that the commercial, and its theme of celebrating major milestones with a trip to Disney, has earned its place in pop culture history over the last 32 years.
Featured image by Gene Duncan/Disney Parks via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Families love vacations and cash back on purchases, but not all families spend their money in the same categories every month. Each month, The Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card allows families to earn 3% cash back in the category of their choosing: Gas, Online Shopping, Dining, Travel, Drug Stores or Home Improvement/Furnishings. Now you don’t need multiple cards in your wallet to maximize rewards on your ever-changing expenses.
- No annual fee
- $150 online cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- New Offer: Maximize your cash back in the category of your choice: gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement /furnishings
- Now earn 3% cash back in your choice category and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs (up to $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club quarterly purchases), and unlimited 1% on all other purchases
- You can update your choice category for future purchases once each calendar month using the Mobile banking app or Online banking, or do nothing and it stays the same.
- No expiration on rewards
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days. After the intro APR offer ends, 16.24% - 26.24% Variable APR will apply. A 3% fee (min $10) applies to all balance transfers
- If you're a Preferred Rewards client, you can get a 25% - 75% rewards bonus on every purchase