Why Super Bowl winners say, ‘We’re going to Disney World!’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While much about the Super Bowl — and the NFL season — wasn’t exactly normal this year, some things never change.
Tom Brady is once again a Super Bowl champion. And to celebrate his seventh Super Bowl ring … he and teammate Rob Gronkowski (now with four rings) are going to Disney World!
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Putting the iconic ‘I’m going to Disney World’ commercial together in the minutes after the game ends doesn’t look like the easiest job in television. There are edits to make, contracts to sign and the final game outcome typically isn’t known until the very end. But that hustle and subsequent quick-turn airing of the commercial are as much a part of the modern-day Super Bowl experience as a flashy half-time show and buckets of chicken wings.
This year, the commercial didn’t seem to air on TV immediately after the game, but it does exist.
The iconic commercial got its start after the 1987 Super Bowl when winning quarterback Phil Simms was the first to take in a nice payday in exchange for saying a couple of lines and taking a trip to Disney World.
The commercial, largely unchanged from its original version, has played at the end of the game almost every year since. And yes, the players who say the magical phrase really do go to Disney World or Disneyland, usually the very next day. This year, Gronkowski will head to Disney World today to celebrate by riding some of the park’s top rides, while Disney indicates that MVP Tom Brady will likely make the trip in the coming months. (Hey Tom and Gronk, here are some of changes Disney has made since your last visits.)
In fact, if you’re ever at Disney World, or occasionally Disneyland, the day after the Super Bowl (at least in a non-pandemic year), there’s a decent chance you’ll see a representative or two from the winning Super Bowl team take their place in a celebratory parade down Main Street, U.S.A. This year the parade is on hiatus (just like all other traditional Disney World parades) due to coronavirus safety precautions.
However, it’s not gone for good as Disney hopes to bring it back next year.
If that sounds like something you want to be a part of, it’s never too early to start planning for next year when the Super Bowl will be held in Los Angeles (at the SoFi Stadium in Inglewood to be exact). That makes nearby Disneyland a really good candidate for the day-after celebratory parade in 2022.
Here’s how you can use your points and miles to get to the big game and a primer for some great Anaheim hotels located close to Disneyland if you want to be on Main Street U.S.A. the day after the big game next year
Featured image by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees