Hi Fly A380 Officially Takes to the Wet Lease Skies for Thomas Cook
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Since taking delivery — with much attention — of its first A380, there have been rumors swirling about which airline would be the first to sign a wet-lease contract to operate Hi Fly’s superjumbo — the world’s first used A380. As of Wednesday, we found out which carrier it would be. And, much to surprise of many followers of the situation, it turned out to be UK-based charter airline Thomas Cook.
On Wednesday, Hi Fly’s first A380 — registration 9H-MIP — took off to position from Beja (BYJ) to Copenhagen (CPH), landing just after 6:00am local time. Later Wednesday, the Hi Fly A380 will carry its first revenue passengers on a charter flight from CPH to Larnaca, Cyprus (LCA) — flight DK1102.
As of 2:45pm ET, flight-tracking website FlightRadar24 shows the superjumbo as having departed — albeit with a delay.
According to reports, Thomas Cook had to make the move to sign a short-term wet-lease contract with Hi Fly for its A380 because of an IT breakdown, leaving passengers stranded at Rhodes Airport in Greece. Thomas Cook sent one of its aircraft to Rhodes, leaving the carrier without an aircraft to operate this charter flight.
Originally scheduled to be operated by one of the carrier’s A321s, the A380 represents an aircraft with many more seats. The A321 that was set to operate this route is configured with 220 economy seats. However, the Hi Fly A380, which is features the same interior of its preceding operator Singapore Airlines, can carry a total of 471 passengers across three cabins and two decks.
You can catch an inside look of the Hi Fly A380 here. But in short, it features 12 first-class suites, 60 lie-flat seats in business class and 399 seats in economy.
TPG reached out to Thomas Cook for comment but did not hear back by time of publication.
It remains unclear which airline the Hi Fly A380 will be leased to on a longer-term basis. In the interim, this short-term deal with Thomas Cook makes history as the first-ever wet-leased A380.
Featured image by Zach Honig.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees