You Can Now Use CLEAR Biometrics to Pick up Your Hertz Rental Car
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Car rental company Hertz and biometric identification company CLEAR have partnered to offer renters the ability to use their fingerprint or face to pick up a car. The partnership marks the first time a rental car company has teamed up with a biometric solution.
The Hertz Fast Lane powered by CLEAR, which launched on Tuesday, drastically reduces the time spent to pick up a car. In fact, according to Hertz, the biometric system will allow renters to get through the exit gate and on the road in 30 seconds or less.
CLEAR functionality with Hertz is now available at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL). In 2019, Hertz will roll out the Fast Lane to more than 40 additional locations, including at airports like Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO).
The partnership comes into play as soon as you’ve picked out a car and are ready to head off the lot and onto the road.
Once leaving the lot, Hertz locations where the Fast Lane is available will see specific exits with CLEAR integration.
Then, instead of being required to hand over documentation, such as identification, you’ll verify your identity with just the scan of your eyeball or fingerprint.
Herz says that the process could save at least 75% more time than the traditional method. Once your identity has been verified by the CLEAR kiosk, you’ll be able to drive off the lot and onto the road.
According to a press release, use of the Herz Fast Lane powered by CLEAR benefit is available for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program members. Basic CLEAR members can use the kiosks at no additional cost. The two accounts must be linked, and you can do so by visiting this page. Some TPG staffers reported having issues linking their two accounts, such as requesting that they try later or go to an airport kiosk to reconfirm their fingerprints. A brand spokesperson confirmed to TPG that the issues only apply to people who have started their enrollment online, but have not yet completed it in person.
For Hertz members that don’t have a CLEAR membership, you can score an airport membership at the following discounted rates:
CLEAR is a TPG favorite when it comes to making airport security a breeze. The membership-based service allows you to verify your identity via an iris scan or fingerprint. Then, you’ll be escorted to the front of the security lane — whether that’s the “standard” line or the PreCheck version. With CLEAR’s expansion now entering another area (it already does airports and some large venues), the service has become even more valuable.
A CLEAR membership costs $179 annually, or $149 using promo code TPG149. However, if you’re a Delta Diamond Medallion member, you can get your CLEAR membership for free. If you have Delta Platinum, Gold or Silver Medallion status or if you’re a cardholder of the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express or any of their business versions, you can get a discounted membership for $79 annually. If you’re a basic Delta SkyMiles member, you can get an annual rate of $99.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees