Heathrow records busiest month since before the pandemic as 1.5M travelers pass through airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
July was Heathrow Airport’s busiest month since the coronavirus pandemic brought the travel industry to a halt.
More than 1.5 million passengers passed through Heathrow (LHR) last month, the most since March of 2020. It’s also a 74% increase from July of last year when virtually all nonessential travel remained grounded.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The distribution of COVID-19 vaccines and the government relaxing travel restrictions in the UK has sent more people hurrying to book flights and come through Heathrow, a welcome sight for airport officials. “Finally, some blue skies are on the horizon, as travel and trade routes slowly reopen. The job, though, is far from complete,” according to Heathrow’s chief operating officer Emma Gilthorpe.
A bustling Heathrow is an encouraging sign that the travel recovery is taking shape, but the airport still has a ways to go. Consider this: Heathrow’s July numbers are still down 81 percent from the passenger traffic it experienced in July 2019. Recent analysis showed Heathrow, once Europe’s busiest airport, is now just the 17th busiest hub.
Still, there are reasons for optimism, such as JetBlue’s JFK to Heathrow service whose first flight landed in London last week.
The airport is also back to using all four terminals again as Virgin Atlantic and Delta are back in their Terminal 3 space. The airport had condensed operations into two terminals once the pandemic took hold and grounded most flights.
Also, fully vaccinated American visitors can now fly to the UK without having to quarantine. That is expected to lead to an increase in travelers passing through Heathrow. And there is hope that the U.S. will soon move the UK to its safe travel list so fully vaccinated passengers can resume leisure travel as they did before.
Related: Flying JetBlue Mint to London
Featured image by EQRoy/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees