Hawaii institutes mandatory two-week quarantine on arrival to the state
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii’s governor issued a sweeping quarantine order Saturday, requiring all visitors — including mainland U.S. citizens — and residents returning to the state, to self-isolate for 14 days.
“With the majority of Hawaii’s COVID-19 cases linked to travel, it is critical that we further mitigate the spread of the virus by both residents and visitors who are coming from out-of-state,” governor David Y. Ige said in a statement announcing the new restrictions. “This plan was developed in collaboration with our county mayors and Hawaii’s business, community and visitor industry leaders.”
Every passenger arriving at a commercial or private airport in the state will be required to fill out a form with information, including where they plan to stay in Hawaii. Arriving passengers must immediately report to their quarantine location upon leaving the airport.
Hawaii residents will self-isolate at home, and visitors will be required to stay in their hotel rooms or “rented lodging” for 14 days or the duration of their stay in the state, whichever is shorter. During the two weeks of isolation, people will only be permitted to leave their quarantine location to seek urgent medical care. Disobeying the order could result in a $5,000 fine and up to a year in prison.
“These actions are extreme, but they will help flatten the curve and lay the groundwork for a quicker recovery. We need everyone to comply with these quarantine orders to help protect Hawaii’s residents,” Ige said.
The new restrictions are set to begin at 12:01 a.m. local time on Thursday.
Ige had previously requested that tourists to Hawaii consider delaying their trips by at least 30 days to help slow the spread of the virus. Last week, he also instituted orders that closed bars, clubs, state parks and theaters; limited restaurants to takeout orders only; halted nonessential travel, including inter-island travel; and increased screening at airports and cruise ship ports, among other restrictions.
Featured photo by Summer Hull/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees