The Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans has collapsed — here’s what we know
We’re seeing some pretty disturbing scenes emerging out of New Orleans today. NOLA.com reports that the Hard Rock Hotel, which is under construction, has partially collapsed; one person is dead, three are missing and 18 are injured.
In a news conference Saturday morning, New Orleans Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell said the upper six to eight floors of the structure collapsed around 9:12 a.m. local time, as per The New York Times. About 45 people were working inside of the structure. The building remains very unstable, and efforts are underway to rescue and evacuate the three missing persons — despite fear of an additional crane collapse. Teams are using dogs and drones to help.
Photos and videos have begun to emerge on social media, including this one that shows the moment the structure collapsed.
As of 1 p.m. CST, the NOFD has begun to evacuate the surrounding buildings.
Renovation plans for the hotel were announced in February 2018. As per Hard Rock’s website, the hotel is slated to reopen with 350 rooms, a health and wellness center, a pool and rooftop, spa and more. The site is located in the French Quarter on the corner of Rampart and Canal Streets. The new Hard Rock was originally slated to open in the Spring of 2019, later pushing back the date to Summer 2020. It’s unclear if — or when — the hotel will open now, as well as what caused the collapse in the first place.
TPG reached out to Hard Rock Hotels, but did not receive a response by the time of publication. As per CNN, Royce Duplessis, a Louisiana state representative, stated, “Structural engineers are currently assessing what led to the cause of the collapse.”
This isn’t the only Hard Rock hotel that’s made headlines this year. The company announced in August that it would close its Las Vegas property and reopen it under Virgin Hotels.
Featured image courtesy Canal1/Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.