You Can Now Visit the World’s Largest Ice and Snow Festival
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Undeterred by below freezing temperatures? On Saturday, Jan. 5, the world’s largest ice and snow festival officially returns to the Heilongjiang Province of northern China. Basically a winter-themed Disney World, the Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival — now in its 35th year — features illuminated ice castles, fireworks displays, exhibitions, sleigh rides and more.
The annual Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival began in 1985, but was inspired by the area’s traditional ice lantern show, which started decades earlier. The festival is set near the banks of the Songhua River, equipping sculptors with plenty of ice for construction.
Now, the almost winterlong festival is a massive international affair that boasts three distinct venues, including the popular Harbin Ice and Snow World. Here, visitors can see more than 100 attractions constructed from blocks of ice that are lit by colorful LEDs. Best visited at night, festival-goers this year can’t miss the towering Buddha statue constructed with some 4,500 cubic meters of ice, or the ice slides inspired by the Northern Lights that can run more than 1,000 feet in length.
There are two other main venues to explore during the festival: the Sun Island Scenic Area, which is filled with massive snow sculptures and is only open during the day, and Zhaolin Park, which is home to 1,000 smaller LED-lit ice sculptures that are certain to delight young children, and should also be visited after dark.
On most days, evening entrance to the Harbin Ice and Snow World costs RMB 300, or $48, while Sun Island costs RMB 240 ($35) and Zhaolin Park costs RMB 150 ($22), though small children can enjoy the latter for free.
Although the festival runs until the end of February, exhibits often linger longer, weather permitting. Stragglers can also admire the approximately 2,000 snowmen stationed along the Songhua River.
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees