Amazing deal: Save 50% on all long-haul Avios redemptions for a limited time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways has launched one of the best redemption sales we’ve seen in years. On Tuesday, the carrier’s Executive Club launched a massive sale where you can spend 50% fewer Avios on long-haul redemptions and 25% fewer Avios on short-haul redemptions.
Best of all, these savings can be used in any cabin of service. In other words, you can fly in BA’s first class for 50% fewer Avios than you would otherwise be used to spending.
Before getting into some of the specifics, note that this is a limited-time offer. And when it expires, it’s unlikely to make a return. You must book before Oct. 13, for travel between Oct. 6, 2020, and June 6, 2021 — you can book far enough in advance to take advantage of summer 2021 holiday savings.
Offer from ShermansTravel: 4 nights at luxury Riviera Maya resort: travel any time in the next 18 months; $299+
This offer is especially lucrative because it isn’t limited to the cheapest economy fares. Instead, you can book in BA’s First cabin or in Club World/Club Suite for half the price of a ticket you would normally get. So while you can book long-haul economy awards for a fraction of the price, if you’ve long had a premium cabin redemption on the mind, this could be the perfect opportunity to book it.
There’s no need to enter a code when searching. Instead, the reduced price — whether it’s 50% or 25%, depending on the destination — should show as the result. Keep in mind, however, you will still be responsible for paying the taxes, fees and surcharges on the award ticket, which can be exorbitant — especially if it’s travel originating in the U.K. Also keep in mind that the discount applies only to BA-operated flights, though for both one-way and return itineraries.
Here are some examples of what you could book:
New York (JFK) to London (LHR) for 6,500 Avios + $83 one-way in economy:
New York (JFK) to London (LHR) for 34,000 Avios + $569 one-way in First:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for 31,250 Avios + $748 one-way in Club World:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for 42,500 Avios + $748 one-way in First:
Chicago (ORD) to London (LHR) for 50,000 Avios + $1,805 return in Club World:
The offer is also eligible to be used with a BA Travel Together Ticket from the British Airways Visa Signature credit card, allowing you to unlock absolutely incredible value. If you have a Travel Together Ticket, this is an opportunity to unlock perhaps the greatest value you will ever get from your Avios. For example, you can book yourself and a companion on a reward for 50% of the cost of a trip for one person.
If you’re short on Avios at the moment, keep in mind that it’s easy to rack up that balance quickly. Perhaps the quickest way of all is by transferring American Express Membership Rewards to the British Airways Executive Club. Points transfer at a 1:1 rate, meaning 1,000 Amex points can be transferred to your BA account and become 1,000 Avios. The transfers are instantaneous.
Additional reporting by Victoria Walker.
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.