Hainan Airlines axes limo service for business-class passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hainan Airlines shared on its website that it has discontinued its chauffeur service for business-class passengers, effective September 25, 2019. If you’ve already made a reservation for the service, it will still be honored, but no future reservations can be made.
The carrier says that it will “provide more diversified services to meet the needs of passengers,” but shared no additional details as to what that could mean. Hainan only offered its limo service on a handful of routes and only for revenue tickets, but often the carrier’s phenomenal business-class fares qualified.
While this development is disappointing, it’s certainly not out of the norm for the industry. Recently, Etihad cut its chauffeur service for business- and first-class passengers traveling on award tickets, and Emirates has also restricted its offering to those who have purchased revenue tickets in business or first class.
Hainan is generally regarded as one of the top Mainland Chinese carriers, and it currently offers nonstop service from seven U.S. cities to multiple destinations in China. However, the parent company of the airline, HNA Group, has been struggling financially amid an economic slowdown in China as well as the ongoing trade war with the United States. As a result, the airline will be dropping its twice-weekly nonstop flight between Las Vegas (LAS) and Beijing (PEK).
Featured image by Javi Rodriguez / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees