Greece’s Aegean Places $5.8 Billion Order for A320neo and A321neo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Greek carrier Aegean Airlines has placed an order for 20 Airbus A320neos and 10 Airbus A321neos in a deal that is worth $5.8 billion.
Neo stands for “new engine option” or more recently, “new environment option” and outfits the aircraft with new engines that are designed to save 15% to 20% in fuel, cut down on emissions and aircraft noise. Because the Neos are more fuel efficient, they’ll be able to fly further and serve more distant destinations.
Aegean has the option to purchase an additional 12 aircraft. The airline was deciding between the A320 family and Boeing’s new 737MAX but decided to go with Airbus in March. It has officially confirmed the orders today.
Aegean currently operates a fleet composed solely of narrow-body Airbus aircraft — flying one A319, 37 A320-200s and 11 A321-200s.
The order is a boost to the country’s largest airline and will aid in its growth plans. This is the third time Aegean has placed an aircraft order in its 19-year history. The airline currently serves 150 destinations in 44 countries.
Aegean is a member of Star Alliance — meaning you can redeem miles from any Star Alliance carrier, like United or Aeroplan, on the carrier. Aegean Miles + Bonus program is actually a solid loyalty program with easy options to redeem and earn miles on the airline. You can transfer SPG points straight to Miles + Bonus.
The airline also plans on investing 30 million Euros in a new training center at its hub in Athens (ATH).
This is another win for Airbus, which has seen great success with its A320neo program — it’s received nearly 6,100 orders from 100 different customers for aircraft in the A320neo family.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee