Greece’s Aegean Places $5.8 Billion Order for A320neo and A321neo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Greek carrier Aegean Airlines has placed an order for 20 Airbus A320neos and 10 Airbus A321neos in a deal that is worth $5.8 billion.
Neo stands for “new engine option” or more recently, “new environment option” and outfits the aircraft with new engines that are designed to save 15% to 20% in fuel, cut down on emissions and aircraft noise. Because the Neos are more fuel efficient, they’ll be able to fly further and serve more distant destinations.
Aegean has the option to purchase an additional 12 aircraft. The airline was deciding between the A320 family and Boeing’s new 737MAX but decided to go with Airbus in March. It has officially confirmed the orders today.
Aegean currently operates a fleet composed solely of narrow-body Airbus aircraft — flying one A319, 37 A320-200s and 11 A321-200s.
The order is a boost to the country’s largest airline and will aid in its growth plans. This is the third time Aegean has placed an aircraft order in its 19-year history. The airline currently serves 150 destinations in 44 countries.
Aegean is a member of Star Alliance — meaning you can redeem miles from any Star Alliance carrier, like United or Aeroplan, on the carrier. Aegean Miles + Bonus program is actually a solid loyalty program with easy options to redeem and earn miles on the airline. You can transfer SPG points straight to Miles + Bonus.
The airline also plans on investing 30 million Euros in a new training center at its hub in Athens (ATH).
This is another win for Airbus, which has seen great success with its A320neo program — it’s received nearly 6,100 orders from 100 different customers for aircraft in the A320neo family.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees