This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Greek carrier Aegean Airlines has placed an order for 20 Airbus A320neos and 10 Airbus A321neos in a deal that is worth $5.8 billion.
Neo stands for “new engine option” or more recently, “new environment option” and outfits the aircraft with new engines that are designed to save 15% to 20% in fuel, cut down on emissions and aircraft noise. Because the Neos are more fuel efficient, they’ll be able to fly further and serve more distant destinations.
Aegean has the option to purchase an additional 12 aircraft. The airline was deciding between the A320 family and Boeing’s new 737MAX but decided to go with Airbus in March. It has officially confirmed the orders today.
Aegean currently operates a fleet composed solely of narrow-body Airbus aircraft — flying one A319, 37 A320-200s and 11 A321-200s.
The order is a boost to the country’s largest airline and will aid in its growth plans. This is the third time Aegean has placed an aircraft order in its 19-year history. The airline currently serves 150 destinations in 44 countries.
Aegean is a member of Star Alliance — meaning you can redeem miles from any Star Alliance carrier, like United or Aeroplan, on the carrier. Aegean Miles + Bonus program is actually a solid loyalty program with easy options to redeem and earn miles on the airline. You can transfer SPG points straight to Miles + Bonus.
The airline also plans on investing 30 million Euros in a new training center at its hub in Athens (ATH).
This is another win for Airbus, which has seen great success with its A320neo program — it’s received nearly 6,100 orders from 100 different customers for aircraft in the A320neo family.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards