This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Greek carrier Aegean Airlines has placed an order for 20 Airbus A320neos and 10 Airbus A321neos in a deal that is worth $5.8 billion.
Neo stands for “new engine option” or more recently, “new environment option” and outfits the aircraft with new engines that are designed to save 15% to 20% in fuel, cut down on emissions and aircraft noise. Because the Neos are more fuel efficient, they’ll be able to fly further and serve more distant destinations.
Aegean has the option to purchase an additional 12 aircraft. The airline was deciding between the A320 family and Boeing’s new 737MAX but decided to go with Airbus in March. It has officially confirmed the orders today.
Aegean currently operates a fleet composed solely of narrow-body Airbus aircraft — flying one A319, 37 A320-200s and 11 A321-200s.
The order is a boost to the country’s largest airline and will aid in its growth plans. This is the third time Aegean has placed an aircraft order in its 19-year history. The airline currently serves 150 destinations in 44 countries.
Aegean is a member of Star Alliance — meaning you can redeem miles from any Star Alliance carrier, like United or Aeroplan, on the carrier. Aegean Miles + Bonus program is actually a solid loyalty program with easy options to redeem and earn miles on the airline. You can transfer SPG points straight to Miles + Bonus.
The airline also plans on investing 30 million Euros in a new training center at its hub in Athens (ATH).
This is another win for Airbus, which has seen great success with its A320neo program — it’s received nearly 6,100 orders from 100 different customers for aircraft in the A320neo family.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that