Great-Grandmother Arrested for Bringing CBD Oil to Disney World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a long list of things you can’t bring into Disney World: weapons, Disney costumes for visitors 14 years of age and older (except during special events), oversize strollers, stroller wagons, loose ice in coolers, alcohol and … CBD oil. Unfortunately for one great-grandmother, unlike the stroller or loose ice situations, the CBD oil provided her a one-way trip from the Happiest Place on Earth to the local jail.
Hester Jordan Burkhalter, a great-grandmother who made the anticipated family trip to Florida from North Carolina, had CBD oil in her bag as she went to enter Disney security, reportedly to help with her arthritis. (And let’s be real, if there is anywhere arthritis is going to act up, it’s when traversing Florida theme parks.) However, as Fox News reported, the CBD oil was discovered at the Disney security checkpoint.
To enter Walt Disney World, or so much as ride the monorail around the property, you must clear security. This is not just a metal detector type of screening. Security checks at Disney include security personnel searching your bags and belongings — sometimes very meticulously. I’ve personally experienced bag screenings to enter Disney parks that, at times, have been at least on par with those to enter the White House for tours. Seriously.
After security personnel discovered the CBD oil, Burkhalter was arrested by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
In Florida, CBD oil is sold in a wide variety of locations, but if there is THC present in the CBD oil, it may require an active prescription from a physician and a medical marijuana card. While Burkhalter reportedly had a letter about the oil from her physician in North Carolina, that was not sufficient to prevent her arrest when the deputy reportedly identified THC in the oil — despite her bottle being labeled as 0mg of THC.
Instead of riding It’s a Small World, this great-grandmother spent 12 hours in jail until bail was posted, all a result of her CBD oil bust. The prosecutors office has since dropped the charges.
As the rules are ever-changing, TPG has put together a guide to traveling with marijuana — and there’s a section in there dedicated to CBD oil, with a full story about traveling with CBD products to come in the near future. At the very least, consider yourself warned about what can happen if you’re traveling with CBD oil to Disney World. Read: Don’t do it.
Feature image by Ryan Wendler / Walt Disney World
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.