Great-Grandmother Arrested for Bringing CBD Oil to Disney World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a long list of things you can’t bring into Disney World: weapons, Disney costumes for visitors 14 years of age and older (except during special events), oversize strollers, stroller wagons, loose ice in coolers, alcohol and … CBD oil. Unfortunately for one great-grandmother, unlike the stroller or loose ice situations, the CBD oil provided her a one-way trip from the Happiest Place on Earth to the local jail.
Hester Jordan Burkhalter, a great-grandmother who made the anticipated family trip to Florida from North Carolina, had CBD oil in her bag as she went to enter Disney security, reportedly to help with her arthritis. (And let’s be real, if there is anywhere arthritis is going to act up, it’s when traversing Florida theme parks.) However, as Fox News reported, the CBD oil was discovered at the Disney security checkpoint.
To enter Walt Disney World, or so much as ride the monorail around the property, you must clear security. This is not just a metal detector type of screening. Security checks at Disney include security personnel searching your bags and belongings — sometimes very meticulously. I’ve personally experienced bag screenings to enter Disney parks that, at times, have been at least on par with those to enter the White House for tours. Seriously.
After security personnel discovered the CBD oil, Burkhalter was arrested by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.
In Florida, CBD oil is sold in a wide variety of locations, but if there is THC present in the CBD oil, it may require an active prescription from a physician and a medical marijuana card. While Burkhalter reportedly had a letter about the oil from her physician in North Carolina, that was not sufficient to prevent her arrest when the deputy reportedly identified THC in the oil — despite her bottle being labeled as 0mg of THC.
Instead of riding It’s a Small World, this great-grandmother spent 12 hours in jail until bail was posted, all a result of her CBD oil bust. The prosecutors office has since dropped the charges.
As the rules are ever-changing, TPG has put together a guide to traveling with marijuana — and there’s a section in there dedicated to CBD oil, with a full story about traveling with CBD products to come in the near future. At the very least, consider yourself warned about what can happen if you’re traveling with CBD oil to Disney World. Read: Don’t do it.
Feature image by Ryan Wendler / Walt Disney World
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees