Here’s how Google is making booking your next hotel easier
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Searching for hotels on Google just got a lot easier. The search engine announced on Jan. 8 that it is adding a slew of new features on Google Hotel Search aimed at helping travelers pick the best hotels for trips.
Here’s what that means for your next trip.
The Google Travel site will now show you the best times to visit and typical hotel prices for your dates of travel. A new tab will show how weather, crowds and pricing vary across the year.
One of the hardest things I encounter when picking a hotel is what neighborhood I want to be in. Sometimes, I want to be in an area where there’s a ton of good bars and restaurants. Other times I want to be close to public transit. And other times, I want to be as far as possible from the action because I want a good night’s sleep.
Google’s new “Where to stay” feature will now give you a summary of top neighborhoods. It will tell you what each area is known for, its location score, and the average cost of hotels in that neighborhood.
Google will also alert you if you’ve stayed previously at a hotel or if you’ve searched for a hotel before and will include more personalized results. For instance, if you’ve searched for fun things to do near the National Mall in Washington, D.C., Google Travel will now show you hotels close to that destination.
If you’ve ever found a fabulous, cheap hotel and then were surprised that it wasn’t the same price at checkout, Google now has a solution for that. The platform is making it more transparent in how much you’ll pay for your whole stay by showing both the nightly price and the total price, including taxes and fees.
Finally, the search engine also released its list of the top ten trending travel destinations for 2020 based on hotel searches.
What destination topped the list? Da Nang, Vietnam (DAD). While no U.S. destinations made the list: several TPG favorites cracked the top ten, including Tel Aviv (TLV), Tokyo (HND/NRT) and Perth (PER).
If you’ve been Google searching some of these destinations, you have plenty of points and miles options to plan your next trip. For instance, Perth, which number 10 on the list has several points hotels to choose from. The Ritz-Carlton Perth is a Category 7 property, with award nights costing 50,000 points apiece at off-peak times, 60,000 points at standard rates, or 70,000 points at peak pricing. And if you’re looking for flights, you have plenty of options with Qantas or Virgin Australia.
Featured image courtesy of Park Hyatt Tokyo
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees