Goodbye, red engines: SAS is repainting its planes in new colors
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scandinavian Airlines’ signature red engines will soon be a thing of the past. The airline unveiled on Thursday its first update to its livery in 21 years on Thursday.
The airline describes its updated colors as a modern take on a classic Scandinavian design. After a cabin interior overhaul in 2015, the airline says that the updated livery aligns the interior and exterior of its aircraft. The first aircraft to feature the new livery will be the most modern of the airline’s fleet, the Airbus A350s and A320neos.
“The new livery design is a symbol of our future, a more sustainable and competitive future for SAS, but one that also embraces our heritage,” SAS CEO and President Rickard Gustafson said in a statement.
The biggest change to the livery is silver replacing the airline’s most distinguishable feature, those red engines. Continuing with the silver theme, there is a striking SAS in giant letters situated at the front of the aircraft. (That’s the acronym of Scandinavian Airlines System; SAS was created as the multinational flag carrier of Denmark, Norway and Sweden.)
The airline’s new livery will also feature “Scandinavian” on the underbelly of the fuselage, a feature that Emirates, Alitalia, Delta and others have introduced as well.
The move follows recent changes to their liveries by the carrier’s Star Alliance partners United Airlines and Lufthansa, both of which also went for simpler, modern and predominantly blue and white/silver liveries.
Existing aircraft in the fleet will get the new livery in accordance with the airline’s already-scheduled repaint process. All SAS aircraft will feature the new livery by 2024.
SAS has a robust network in the US, with flights to its three constituent countries from Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York (Newark), San Francisco and Washington. The first of eight Airbus A350-900 on order, featuring the new livery, will enter service on the Copenhagen to Chicago from January 28, 2020, SAS said in a statement. You might spot an older A330 and A340 from the airline’s all-Airbus long-haul fleet repainted in the new colors before then, so keep your eyes open at airports served by SAS!
All digital renderings courtesy of SAS
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees