US customs extends Global Entry membership for those waiting to renew
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your Global Entry pass is expiring soon and your renewal application is still “pending,” fear not — you won’t lose your perks just yet. U.S. customs will extend Global Entry privileges a year beyond the expiration date to those who are still waiting to renew.
The extension comes after U.S. Customs shared that it has a backlog of 350,000+ applicants to work through.
This probably comes as a relief to many as appointments have become increasingly hard to get in a timely manner. For instance, we checked out some of the wait times across the country back on Oct. 28 and airports like Salt Lake City (SLC), Washington (DCA) and San Francisco (SFO) didn’t have any appointments available at all.
So, if you haven’t been able to snatch an appointment, you’ll still be able to enjoy your Global Entry pass and perks as long as you filed your renewal prior to the expiration date.
Global Entry is a game changer for frequent travelers as it expedites the security screening process considerably. If you’re considering getting Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, check out the many credit cards that offer the two perks as a part of its welcome bonus and annual fee. This is a lucrative perk considering Global Entry costs $100 out of pocket and also includes TSA PreCheck.
You may have to wait a bit before your application is approved as Customs has reported it receives as many as 7,000 applications a day on top of its backlogged applications. However, it’s a great perk offered by many travel rewards credit cards and it would be a shame not to take advantage of the service. For those who already have it and are just waiting for renewal, take a deep breath as U.S. customs is working through thousands of applications and has extended perks to current members.
Featured photo by Katherine Frey / The Washington Post / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees