US customs extends Global Entry membership for those waiting to renew
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your Global Entry pass is expiring soon and your renewal application is still “pending,” fear not — you won’t lose your perks just yet. U.S. customs will extend Global Entry privileges a year beyond the expiration date to those who are still waiting to renew.
The extension comes after U.S. Customs shared that it has a backlog of 350,000+ applicants to work through.
This probably comes as a relief to many as appointments have become increasingly hard to get in a timely manner. For instance, we checked out some of the wait times across the country back on Oct. 28 and airports like Salt Lake City (SLC), Washington (DCA) and San Francisco (SFO) didn’t have any appointments available at all.
So, if you haven’t been able to snatch an appointment, you’ll still be able to enjoy your Global Entry pass and perks as long as you filed your renewal prior to the expiration date.
Global Entry is a game changer for frequent travelers as it expedites the security screening process considerably. If you’re considering getting Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, check out the many credit cards that offer the two perks as a part of its welcome bonus and annual fee. This is a lucrative perk considering Global Entry costs $100 out of pocket and also includes TSA PreCheck.
You may have to wait a bit before your application is approved as Customs has reported it receives as many as 7,000 applications a day on top of its backlogged applications. However, it’s a great perk offered by many travel rewards credit cards and it would be a shame not to take advantage of the service. For those who already have it and are just waiting for renewal, take a deep breath as U.S. customs is working through thousands of applications and has extended perks to current members.
Featured photo by Katherine Frey / The Washington Post / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees