Get a 25% Bonus When Transferring Capital One Miles to Avianca LifeMiles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With a new month, Capital One has announced a new transfer bonus, this time allowing cardholders to earn a bonus when transferring points to Avianca LifeMiles.
Starting tomorrow, July 1, Capital One card holders will receive a 25% bonus on all miles transferred to the LifeMiles program through July 31. This comes right after a 20% bonus to Air France and KLM’s Flying Blue program, which ends today.
The normal transfer rate is 2 Capital One miles to 1.5 LifeMiles, but with the promotion you’ll see that bumped up to 2:1.876. That means you’ll get about 938 LifeMiles for every 1,000 Venture Miles that you transfer.
- Flights to Southern South America in economy: 30,000 miles
- Flights to New Zealand or Australia in economy: 40,000 miles
- Flights to Europe in business class (with no fuel surcharges): 63,000 miles
- Flights to North Asia in business class: 75,000 miles
- Flights to Middle East in business class: 78,000 miles
- Flights to Europe in Lufthansa first (with no fuel surcharges): 87,000 miles
Keep in mind that LifeMiles is making changes to its domestic US award chart effective July 15. Fortunately, unlike other award chart changes which are usually all negative, this one is a mixed bag with the award cost of some routes going up in price and others going down. After the changes, domestic awards will range in price from 6,500 miles to 13,500 one-way. LifeMiles’ booking fees are also going down on many routes.
In our tests, transfers from Capital One to Avianca went through instantly so you should be able to book your award immediately after you move over your Capital One miles. And if you don’t have enough Capital One miles, you can also transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points and Marriott Bonvoy points to LifeMiles.
Through July 5, you can earn a 25% bonus when transferring Citi ThankYou, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards or Marriott Bonvoy points to Avianca LifeMiles, as a part of Lifemiles’ own promotion. Marriott also gives a 25% bonus when transferring its points to Lifemiles in increments of 60,000 points.
We recommend only transferring miles if you have a specific redemption in mind. Once you transfer your miles, they’ll be stuck with Avianca and you’ll lose the flexibility of transferring to any other partner.
How to Earn Capital One Miles
If you’re short on Capital One miles and want to take advantage of future transfer bonuses like this one, a sign-up bonus from one of the following cards can help boost your balance. As a reminder, only certain cards earn Capital One miles, but all of those miles-earning cards are typically eligible for these types of bonuses.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Earn 60,000 miles after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card: Earn 20,000 miles after you use your new card to make $500 in purchases in your first three months.
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business: Earn 20,000 miles after you use your new card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first three months.
The information for the Capital One Spark Miles Select card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.