Frontier Airlines Becomes the First US Customer for New Airbus A321XLR
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The star of this week’s Paris Air Show, the newly announced Airbus A321XLR, has landed another big order. This time, it’s with Indigo Partners — the private equity firm that owns part of Frontier, Wizz Air, JetSMART, Volaris, among others — which signed up for 50 of the narrow-body, long-range aircraft.
The Indigo Partners order will see 20 of the A321XLRs go to Wizz Air, 18 to Frontier and 12 to JetSMART. With the Frontier portion of the order, Airbus gets its first commitment for a US carrier to operate its newest jet.
The Indigo Group already has almost 300 Airbus aircraft in its fleet and this new order, combined with other orders, will grow the combined fleet to well over 600 aircraft. Wednesday’s Memorandum of Understanding with Airbus is comprised of 32 new orders for the A321XLR, as well as 18 converted A321neo orders.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
The extended range of about 5,400 miles and fuel efficiency of the aircraft opens up new route opportunities for these airlines. While Indigo’s family of airlines focus on the ultra-low-cost market on a short-haul basis, these aircraft could mean very affordable transatlantic flights in the future. According to CNBC, Frontier is also considering launching flights to Hawaii and Alaska with this aircraft.
“Today’s announcement marks another milestone in Frontier’s tremendous growth story,” Frontier CEO Barry Biffle said in a statement. “The A321XLR will enable Frontier to offer coast to coast service and explore exciting international and domestic opportunities, such as Hawaii, while continuing to deliver ‘Low Fares Done Right’ to our customers.”
The fast-growing Wizz Air is moving beyond its traditional bases in Eastern Europe to launch new bases in routes in Western Europe.
Indigo has confirmed Volaris will not receive any frames because the high altitude of its hub cities in Mexico cannot maximize the performance of the aircraft.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees