Frontier flight attendant spots de-icing issue, prevents ‘catastrophic outcome’
Well this is quite concerning. According to Twitter user JonNYC, and confirmed by Frontier Airlines, the carrier’s former contractor at Nashville International Airport reportedly cut some (very important) corners while performing a critical de-icing last month.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
De-icing is essential during cold-weather operations. Snow and ice on the fuselage and the wings can have a significant impact on lift, limiting an aircraft’s ability to become airborne. In other words, operating a flight with an aircraft in that condition can be incredibly dangerous.
Airlines or their contractors typically remove ice and snow buildup from an aircraft using a special fluid, and sometimes apply a second “anti-icing” liquid as well, that’ll help the plane avoid accumulating new build-up as it taxis to the runway.
Unfortunately in the case of last month’s Nashville (BNA) incident, the contractor neglected to complete the de-icing process, reportedly because it was low on fluid. Cutting corners during the de-icing process is of course a terrible idea.
Related: How de-icing works
Fortunately for Frontier, a flight attendant spotted a snow and ice-covered wing and alerted the pilots before takeoff, leading the aircraft to return to the gate, where a foot of snow was discovered on the wings. According to a Frontier spokesperson:
We can confirm this incident did occur. Safety is our foremost priority and we are very proud of our flight crew for identifying the issue and ensuring the matter was addressed before takeoff. We are no longer using the deicing company in question.
In this case, the contractor reportedly stated that the aircraft had been completely cleared, leading the pilots to begin taxiing to the runway. The passengers, crew members and de-icing personnel certainly owe a debt of gratitude to the flight attendant who expressed concern.
Featured photo by robertcicchetti/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees