Frequent flyer Q&A: Gino Bertuccio, from Miami, Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When ANA scheduled its much-anticipated inaugural flight with the Airbus A380, Gino Bertuccio didn’t hesitate to book a first-class seat. But, while many onboard were thrilled to experience what was likely their very first journey on the double-decker superjumbo, that six-hour first-class hop was but a drop in the bucket for Gino. The Miami-based businessman had already experienced the ultimate A380 extravagance, as the very first passenger to book a flight in Eithad‘s ultra-exclusive long-haul product, The Residence.
While I didn’t have a chance to experience either alongside Gino, we quickly became “Instagram friends.” and when he invited me along for a big group adventure from Frankfurt (FRA) to Bogota, Colombia (BOG), I didn’t hesitate to join. Ultimately, four frequent flyers ended up traveling together on an outstanding first-class fare, at just around $2,100 for 12 hours in the forward cabin of a Lufthansa Airbus A340-600. That gave us plenty of time to chat.
As part of my coverage of our ultimate AvGeek adventure, I decided to publish a Q&A with Gino, along with the two other frequent flyers in our group, Cherag Dubash and Agustin Aguero. As the man responsible for organizing the trip, we’ll get Gino’s in first.
Question: What do you do for work?
Answer: I import skin care products from Italy, and sell them to customers in the United States and South America.
Q: How many miles did you fly in 2019?
Last year, I traveled about 200,000 miles across 100 flights.
Q: How many nights do you spend at home each year?
I spend half of the year at home. The beginning of the year is usually quiet for travel, through March.
Q: How much of your travel is business vs. leisure?
20% of my travel is for business.
Q: What’s your favorite first-class product?
Q: And business class?
ANA is good, but I usually fly first class.
Q: Do you ever fly economy?
When there’s no first class or business class. 2003 was the last time in economy.
Q: When was your first international first-class flight?
In the late 1960s, I flew first class on a DC-8, from Venezuela to Italy.
Q: What are some of your favorite places to visit?
Singapore. It’s charming, it’s exotic, it’s organized, it’s clean. There’s nothing to do, but it’s nice to do a stopover there.
Q: What are your preferred airlines?
Singapore Airlines, no doubt at all.
Q: Do you have a preferred hotel chain?
Q: What’s your biggest travel pet peeve?
People with bare feet. And those who show up wearing pajamas, or fly in shorts and flip-flops in first class.
Q: Which credit cards do you use on a regular basis?
Q: Aside from your passport, what are some items you’ll never leave home without?
My glasses, and spare contact lenses.
Want to see what it’s like to fly with Gino? Don’t miss our Lufthansa first-class adventure, from Europe to South America.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees