Frequent flyer Q&A: Gino Bertuccio, from Miami, Florida
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When ANA scheduled its much-anticipated inaugural flight with the Airbus A380, Gino Bertuccio didn’t hesitate to book a first-class seat. But, while many onboard were thrilled to experience what was likely their very first journey on the double-decker superjumbo, that six-hour first-class hop was but a drop in the bucket for Gino. The Miami-based businessman had already experienced the ultimate A380 extravagance, as the very first passenger to book a flight in Eithad‘s ultra-exclusive long-haul product, The Residence.
While I didn’t have a chance to experience either alongside Gino, we quickly became “Instagram friends.” and when he invited me along for a big group adventure from Frankfurt (FRA) to Bogota, Colombia (BOG), I didn’t hesitate to join. Ultimately, four frequent flyers ended up traveling together on an outstanding first-class fare, at just around $2,100 for 12 hours in the forward cabin of a Lufthansa Airbus A340-600. That gave us plenty of time to chat.
As part of my coverage of our ultimate AvGeek adventure, I decided to publish a Q&A with Gino, along with the two other frequent flyers in our group, Cherag Dubash and Agustin Aguero. As the man responsible for organizing the trip, we’ll get Gino’s in first.
Question: What do you do for work?
Answer: I import skin care products from Italy, and sell them to customers in the United States and South America.
Q: How many miles did you fly in 2019?
Last year, I traveled about 200,000 miles across 100 flights.
Q: How many nights do you spend at home each year?
I spend half of the year at home. The beginning of the year is usually quiet for travel, through March.
Q: How much of your travel is business vs. leisure?
20% of my travel is for business.
Q: What’s your favorite first-class product?
Q: And business class?
ANA is good, but I usually fly first class.
Q: Do you ever fly economy?
When there’s no first class or business class. 2003 was the last time in economy.
Q: When was your first international first-class flight?
In the late 1960s, I flew first class on a DC-8, from Venezuela to Italy.
Q: What are some of your favorite places to visit?
Singapore. It’s charming, it’s exotic, it’s organized, it’s clean. There’s nothing to do, but it’s nice to do a stopover there.
Q: What are your preferred airlines?
Singapore Airlines, no doubt at all.
Q: Do you have a preferred hotel chain?
Q: What’s your biggest travel pet peeve?
People with bare feet. And those who show up wearing pajamas, or fly in shorts and flip-flops in first class.
Q: Which credit cards do you use on a regular basis?
Q: Aside from your passport, what are some items you’ll never leave home without?
My glasses, and spare contact lenses.
Want to see what it’s like to fly with Gino? Don’t miss our Lufthansa first-class adventure, from Europe to South America.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.