You can travel between NYC and D.C. for just 99 cents with new FlixBus promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Do you have some early 2020 travel lined up and a dollar to spare? Are you a college student needing to travel between school and home, or a budget traveler looking for a cheap ticket for a New York City day trip?
If so, bus company FlixBus has some great deals for you. From now through December 22, all FlixBus tickets in the U.S. are just 99 cents for travel between January 6 to March 15. What does that mean? You can score tickets between major cities across the U.S. for just $2 round-trip, plus a service fee.
FlixBus said it’s offering the dirt-cheap tickets to “encourage green travel in 2020.”
“The new year — and the start of a new decade at that, invokes the desire to start anew and lead a bolder, more adventurous kind of life,” said managing director Pierre Gourdain in a statement. “We’re hoping with this sale we’ll get people to leave their comfort zone, get out of their cars, and start exploring the world around them.”
FlixBus, similar to low-cost bus option MegaBus, offers an affordable alternative to travel in the U.S. and Europe with availability in over 100 cities and university campuses. Budget travelers, families, recent grads and college students alike can score great deals all around the U.S. Megabus recently ran a similar promotion earlier on Cyber Monday, when it gave away 200,000 free one-way tickets for travel between Jan and February 2020.
A quick search on FlixBus’s website, which is pretty easy to navigate, showed widespread 99 cent availability for nonstop routes between New York City and Washington, New Orleans to Houston, and Los Angeles to San Francisco. Make sure to play with dates and times to get the best schedule that works for you.
The FlixBus fleet averages 1-2 years old, the company says, with complimentary onboard WiFi, power outlets at every seat, and the option to make travel carbon-neutral during booking. You can book tickets online, via the FlixBus app, or in person at any FlixShop location. Keep in mind that all bookings incur a $2 service fee.
In 2013, FlixBus launched in Germany and since then, the coach bus company has been disrupting conventional European travel (i.e., trains from European city to European city). Now, Europe’s largest bus network has a goal of changing long-distance travel in the U.S.
TPG’s Katie Genter took FlixBus in 2017 between Munich and Stuttgart Airport and was impressed by the fast trip and comfortable seats. However, make sure you book your ticket using a card with trip delay and protection coverage, as FlixBus can be subject to significant delays. Many of the top travel rewards credit cards offer some form of trip delay or trip cancellation/interruption coverage, so take a look at some of the best cards below.
Best credit cards for trip cancellation and interruption protection
- Chase Sapphire Reserve: Excellent all-around travel protections and earning, and up to $10,000 per covered person with a maximum of $20,000 per trip
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: Excellent all-around travel protections and up to $10,000 per covered person with a maximum of $20,000 per trip — all with a $95 annual fee.
- IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card: Up to $5,000 per covered person with a maximum of $10,000 per trip for no annual fee
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card: A non-Chase card with a $95 annual fee that provides up to $5,000 per person in coverage that will cover a wide range of non-refundable expenses
The information for the IHG Traveler Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of Katie Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees