FlightRadar24 Tracked a Record 230,000 Flights Thursday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the middle of the busy summer travel season, the real-time aircraft tracking service FlightRadar24 observed a record number of flights Thursday, with 230,000 trips tracked by the service. This is the most traffic FlightRadar24 has ever recorded in one day since its launch in 2006.
Along with an announcement of the record-breaking day, the company tweeted out a sped-up video of the trips it followed that day.
Most traffic is over North America, Europe, most of China and East and Southeast Asia, where constant air traffic at nearly all hours is so dense that it hides the map from view. Meanwhile, massive holes in airplane traffic are visible over conflict regions where most refuse to fly; Libya, Yemen and Syria are air-traffic deserts. Many routes over oceans — which we’ve described as “highways in the sky” — are easily visible as well.
FlightRadar24 does not claim Thursday was the busiest day in aviation, as its data is limited to information received from planes equipped with ADS-B transponders and tracked by antennas affiliated with the Flightradar24 network. Still, 230,000 flights is an impressive number. The spike could have been caused by busy summer travel in the lead-up to a weekend.
It may not be stopping, either. In the same tweet, FlightRadar24 suggested that Friday could be even busier.
Featured image courtesy of Flightradar24.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees