FlightRadar24 Tracked a Record 230,000 Flights Thursday
In the middle of the busy summer travel season, the real-time aircraft tracking service FlightRadar24 observed a record number of flights Thursday, with 230,000 trips tracked by the service. This is the most traffic FlightRadar24 has ever recorded in one day since its launch in 2006.
Along with an announcement of the record-breaking day, the company tweeted out a sped-up video of the trips it followed that day.
Most traffic is over North America, Europe, most of China and East and Southeast Asia, where constant air traffic at nearly all hours is so dense that it hides the map from view. Meanwhile, massive holes in airplane traffic are visible over conflict regions where most refuse to fly; Libya, Yemen and Syria are air-traffic deserts. Many routes over oceans — which we’ve described as “highways in the sky” — are easily visible as well.
FlightRadar24 does not claim Thursday was the busiest day in aviation, as its data is limited to information received from planes equipped with ADS-B transponders and tracked by antennas affiliated with the Flightradar24 network. Still, 230,000 flights is an impressive number. The spike could have been caused by busy summer travel in the lead-up to a weekend.
It may not be stopping, either. In the same tweet, FlightRadar24 suggested that Friday could be even busier.
Featured image courtesy of Flightradar24.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.