Here Are the First Routes for American Airlines’ Reconfigured 787-8
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As in life, frequent flyers must take the good with the bad. Until, of course, they’ve had enough and opt for a HondaJet Elite to get them from Point A to Point B. For AA loyalists sticking to commercial (at least in the near-term), we’ve learned that its fleet of reconfigured Boeing 787-8 aircraft will soon fly from Chicago (ORD) and Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW) to a handful of global destinations beginning in May 2019.
Per new data unearthed by RoutesOnline, American Airlines has recently filed paperwork outlining initial routes for the revamped Dreamliners. Earlier this year, we noted that the retrofit would boost seating capacity overall, with American stripping out eight business class seats and reducing Main Cabin Extra by 13 seats to make room for a four-row, 28-seat (2-3-2) premium economy section. In addition to the loss of 13 Main Cabin Extra seats, there’s another downside to this reconfiguration for window-seat lovers: American is putting almost all Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seating into the middle column of the aircraft.
Now, at least, we know where these birds will fly. Starting May 2, 2019, the reconfigured 787-8 will find itself gradually operating the below routes.
From Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to:
- Athens (ATH)
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW)
- Dublin (DUB)
- London Heathrow (LHR)
- Paris (CDG)
- Rome (FCO)
- Tokyo–Narita (NRT)
- Venice (VCE)
From Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW) to:
- Beijing (PVG)
- Frankfurt (FRA)
- Munich (MUC)
- Santiago de Chile (SCL)
In searching on AA.com, it appears that many of the routes above are loaded and bookable via both cash and AAdvantage miles from May 2, 2019, onward. We found copious economy MileSAAver (low-level) award availability for routes between Chicago (ORD) and London Heathrow (LHR), though spotting low-level availability in the business cabin proved more difficult.
Interestingly, AA’s site doesn’t yet allow for booking award tickets in the Premium Economy cabin, so if you’re jonesing to try that product, it’s cash or bust for the moment.
If you’re looking to fly onboard a reconfigured 787-8, you can boost your available AAdvantage miles balance by signing up for credit cards and securing lucrative welcome bonuses. The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard not only provides gratis access to Admirals Club lounges; it also boasts a huge 75,000 mile bonus after spending $7,500 within the first three months. For AA loyalists, be sure to check out our guide to the best credit card for American Airlines flyers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.