Here Are the First Routes for American Airlines’ Reconfigured 787-8
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As in life, frequent flyers must take the good with the bad. Until, of course, they’ve had enough and opt for a HondaJet Elite to get them from Point A to Point B. For AA loyalists sticking to commercial (at least in the near-term), we’ve learned that its fleet of reconfigured Boeing 787-8 aircraft will soon fly from Chicago (ORD) and Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW) to a handful of global destinations beginning in May 2019.
Per new data unearthed by RoutesOnline, American Airlines has recently filed paperwork outlining initial routes for the revamped Dreamliners. Earlier this year, we noted that the retrofit would boost seating capacity overall, with American stripping out eight business class seats and reducing Main Cabin Extra by 13 seats to make room for a four-row, 28-seat (2-3-2) premium economy section. In addition to the loss of 13 Main Cabin Extra seats, there’s another downside to this reconfiguration for window-seat lovers: American is putting almost all Main Cabin Extra (MCE) seating into the middle column of the aircraft.
Now, at least, we know where these birds will fly. Starting May 2, 2019, the reconfigured 787-8 will find itself gradually operating the below routes.
From Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to:
- Athens (ATH)
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW)
- Dublin (DUB)
- London Heathrow (LHR)
- Paris (CDG)
- Rome (FCO)
- Tokyo–Narita (NRT)
- Venice (VCE)
From Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW) to:
- Beijing (PVG)
- Frankfurt (FRA)
- Munich (MUC)
- Santiago de Chile (SCL)
In searching on AA.com, it appears that many of the routes above are loaded and bookable via both cash and AAdvantage miles from May 2, 2019, onward. We found copious economy MileSAAver (low-level) award availability for routes between Chicago (ORD) and London Heathrow (LHR), though spotting low-level availability in the business cabin proved more difficult.
Interestingly, AA’s site doesn’t yet allow for booking award tickets in the Premium Economy cabin, so if you’re jonesing to try that product, it’s cash or bust for the moment.
If you’re looking to fly onboard a reconfigured 787-8, you can boost your available AAdvantage miles balance by signing up for credit cards and securing lucrative welcome bonuses. The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard not only provides gratis access to Admirals Club lounges; it also boasts a huge 75,000 mile bonus after spending $7,500 within the first three months. For AA loyalists, be sure to check out our guide to the best credit card for American Airlines flyers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees