First responders can now search for free or discounted Hilton, IHG hotels on Google
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Healthcare workers, first responders and essential workers have been on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic. By day (or night), they work with patients or perform other essential jobs to keep the economy running.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
But life after their shifts can be as equally perilous. Many first responders have decided to self-quarantine at Airbnbs or hotels to avoid possibly infecting loved ones.
The coronavirus pandemic has altered the travel industry, with many airplanes flying with fewer than 10 passengers on board, hundreds of thousands of empty hotel rooms and travelers everywhere scrambling to postpone or cancel trips altogether. But amid the crisis, several companies have stepped up to make life easier for first responders.
Google on May 21 announced that it would make it easier for first responders to find free and discounted rooms using Google Search or Google Maps. The company says that first responders can search for keywords like “hotels for essential workers in New York” or “hotels in New York.” They can then narrow the results using a brand new filter for “COVID-19 responder rooms,” which will show participating hotels. First responders can simply call the hotel directly to learn more about its policies and book.
Google is working with hotels like Hilton, IHG and Choice Hotels and American Hotel & Lodging Association. You can find the full list of participating hotels here. Note that this new feature is currently only available in the United States and the United Kingdom, but Google says it hopes to launch worldwide coverage “as soon as possible.”
“Our industry is centered around people taking care of people, and this crisis is no different,” Chip Rogers, the president and CEO of AHLA, said in a statement. “Central to every community, hotel employees have risen to the occasion in record numbers to support those putting their lives on the line to care for others.”
Last month, Hilton teamed up with American Express to donate 1 million free nights in select Hilton hotels for medical professionals around the U.S. AHLA also introduced a new initiative called Hotels for Hope, which is working to create a nationwide database of hotels that state and local governments can use to match available hotels to healthcare workers who need lodging.
Google says that hotel owners who have discounts or special accommodations for frontline or essential workers, can sign into Google My Business and add the attribute to your Business Profile, or get help from Google My Business support.
Featured photo by Hilton Hotels
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.