First responders can now search for free or discounted Hilton, IHG hotels on Google
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Healthcare workers, first responders and essential workers have been on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic. By day (or night), they work with patients or perform other essential jobs to keep the economy running.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
But life after their shifts can be as equally perilous. Many first responders have decided to self-quarantine at Airbnbs or hotels to avoid possibly infecting loved ones.
The coronavirus pandemic has altered the travel industry, with many airplanes flying with fewer than 10 passengers on board, hundreds of thousands of empty hotel rooms and travelers everywhere scrambling to postpone or cancel trips altogether. But amid the crisis, several companies have stepped up to make life easier for first responders.
Google on May 21 announced that it would make it easier for first responders to find free and discounted rooms using Google Search or Google Maps. The company says that first responders can search for keywords like “hotels for essential workers in New York” or “hotels in New York.” They can then narrow the results using a brand new filter for “COVID-19 responder rooms,” which will show participating hotels. First responders can simply call the hotel directly to learn more about its policies and book.
Google is working with hotels like Hilton, IHG and Choice Hotels and American Hotel & Lodging Association. You can find the full list of participating hotels here. Note that this new feature is currently only available in the United States and the United Kingdom, but Google says it hopes to launch worldwide coverage “as soon as possible.”
“Our industry is centered around people taking care of people, and this crisis is no different,” Chip Rogers, the president and CEO of AHLA, said in a statement. “Central to every community, hotel employees have risen to the occasion in record numbers to support those putting their lives on the line to care for others.”
Last month, Hilton teamed up with American Express to donate 1 million free nights in select Hilton hotels for medical professionals around the U.S. AHLA also introduced a new initiative called Hotels for Hope, which is working to create a nationwide database of hotels that state and local governments can use to match available hotels to healthcare workers who need lodging.
Google says that hotel owners who have discounts or special accommodations for frontline or essential workers, can sign into Google My Business and add the attribute to your Business Profile, or get help from Google My Business support.
Featured photo by Hilton Hotels
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees